Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Karen Karen is offline

Default Table caption numbering

I am working on a document with many tables, figures and boxes. I am
manually adding captions to the existing tables/figures and boxes. For some
reason, I can't continue numbering my table after "Table 2.12". It restarts
with "Table 3.1" instead of going forward with "Table 2.13".

Please help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Is this caption numbering with heading numbers included (as indicated by the
x.y format)?

If you want to keep the chapter numbering, just remove the Heading 2
paragraph before "Table 3.1." Then switch to Print Preview and back to
update caption numbers.

If you want to get rid of chapter numbering, display the Caption dialog box:
Insert | Reference | Caption (Word 2003) or References tab | Insert Caption
(Word 2007). Click Numbering. Clear the check mark next to "Include chapter
number" and click OK, Close. Switch to print preview and back to update
caption numbers.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Karen" wrote in message
I am working on a document with many tables, figures and boxes. I am
manually adding captions to the existing tables/figures and boxes. For
some
reason, I can't continue numbering my table after "Table 2.12". It
restarts
with "Table 3.1" instead of going forward with "Table 2.13".

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Karen Karen is offline

Thanks. I need to keep the chapter numberings. Is there anyway to keep both
the headings and caption numbers?

I unchecked the "chapter number" box and added a new Label as "Table 2."
instead of just "Table". This give me the numbering format I want: "Table 2.
1, Table 2. 2 etc" However, I can't delete the space between the period "."
and the autonumber "1".

I have 5 chapters and all figures/tables/boxes in the chapter must begin
with the number of the chapter (i.e. Figure 1.1, Figure 1.2 for figures in
Chapter 1; Figure 2.1, Figure 2.2 for figures in Chapter 2). So Figure 4 in
chapter 2 should be "Figure 2.4" and so on. Each chapter has several
headings - sometimes up to level 5 headings. I do not want the caption
numbers to run with the heading but with the chapter. Can that be done?

"Karen" wrote in message
I am working on a document with many tables, figures and boxes. I am
manually adding captions to the existing tables/figures and boxes. For
some
reason, I can't continue numbering my table after "Table 2.12". It
restarts
with "Table 3.1" instead of going forward with "Table 2.13".

Please help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Use the Caption Numbering dialog box (Insert | Reference | Caption, click
the Numbering button) to determine after which heading caption numbers
should restart. The restarts occur only after the chosen heading level. If
you want to prevent restarting after a certain paragraph, don't apply the
heading style to it. Use a different style (a heading or non-heading style).
You can format it as you like.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Karen" wrote in message
Thanks. I need to keep the chapter numberings. Is there anyway to keep
both
the headings and caption numbers?

I unchecked the "chapter number" box and added a new Label as "Table 2."
instead of just "Table". This give me the numbering format I want: "Table
2.
1, Table 2. 2 etc" However, I can't delete the space between the period
"."

"Karen" wrote in message
I am working on a document with many tables, figures and boxes. I am
manually adding captions to the existing tables/figures and boxes. For
some
reason, I can't continue numbering my table after "Table 2.12". It
restarts
with "Table 3.1" instead of going forward with "Table 2.13".

Please help.

Caption Numbering lallous Microsoft Word Help 8 October 12th 06 09:24 PM
caption numbering Stressed in Tampa Microsoft Word Help 1 July 6th 06 08:54 PM
Caption Numbering Cheryl Microsoft Word Help 0 March 21st 06 07:42 PM
caption numbering Jin Tables 3 December 22nd 04 09:27 AM
table caption numbering scottkinsey Tables 1 November 11th 04 12:47 PM