BruceM

Default Table of Contents

I would like to build a table of contents, but have run into a problem or
two. I have defined my own outline styles. I find it much simpler to define
level 1, then to base level 2 on level 1, etc. rather than having to undo all
of the formatting for the built-in heading styles and then redefining each
style. I don't know if that is relevant to my question, but there it is just
in case.
The problem I am having is that I would like to limit the TOC entry to
something less than an entire paragraph. Let's say my custom styles are
Level1, Level2, etc. If I base a TOC on those styles, entire paragraphs show
up in the TOC and I cannot figure out how to change that to a few descriptive
words. If a Level2 paragraph starts with "General Procedures - These are
some general guidelines ...", all I want in the TOC is "General Procedures",
but I cannot edit the TOC entries. Can I use the TOC, or do I need to insert
individual hyperlinks to places in the document or something like that? I
have read the MVP article on the use of switches, and have looked at Help,
but my situation does not seem to be covered.

BruceM

Thanks. I've read the article now, and will give that a try. I'll just
mention that I do not find Word's Help to be any more helpful on this subject
than it is on other subjects, but your linked article explains something that
sounds vaguely familiar what I read (and found inscrutable) in Help.