Ray Turley A+,MCP,MCSE

Default Error Message "A table in this document has become corrupted"

When the users attempt to open a previously saved Word XP (2002) document
they get the error €śA table in this document has become corrupted€ť. My
network setup consists of a server running Windows 2000 Server where
templates being accessed by Windows 2000 Professional workstations on the
same LAN but this error also appears when the target files are opened locally
on the server as well. According to Microsoft article 328232 this issue is
corrected with the installation of office service pack 3. Office service
Pack 3 as well as all operating system service packs are loaded on all
involved equipment and rebooted as of today but still the error message
remains. I have also after verifying all service packs having been installed
opened the target file and resaved it only to see the error message return
after attempted reopening.

Doug Robbins

It might be that there IS a corrupt table in the document. Try splitting
the document into two and then open each half. If one half produces the
same message, split it in half again and repeat this process until to
isolate the table that is causing the problem.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Ray Turley A+,MCP,MCSE" wrote
in message ...
When the users attempt to open a previously saved Word XP (2002) document
they get the error "A table in this document has become corrupted". My
network setup consists of a server running Windows 2000 Server where
templates being accessed by Windows 2000 Professional workstations on the
same LAN but this error also appears when the target files are opened
locally
on the server as well. According to Microsoft article 328232 this issue
is
corrected with the installation of office service pack 3. Office service
Pack 3 as well as all operating system service packs are loaded on all
involved equipment and rebooted as of today but still the error message
remains. I have also after verifying all service packs having been
installed
opened the target file and resaved it only to see the error message return
after attempted reopening.

Ray Turley A+,MCP,MCSE

Thank you for the suggestion Doug but I am confused and perhaps you can
enlighten me. I was under the impression that the Master Document was the
source of the corruption according to what I am reading on several webites
while I awaited your kind response.

This having been said I guess the obvious question is what is corrupted?
The Master Document table that controls the overall paganation
characteristics or a table within the document itself. The very general
nature of the error message is confusing to even the most experienced users.

Additionally just out of my own limited experience in this area has any user
commented back that the approach you suggest has met with success. I am
greatful for your contribution and mean no disrespect but what you suggest
will require a great deal of time investment as the document in question is
very large and will cost my customer greatly so I have to ask.

Thank you for your time and I look forward to your reply.

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

[...]

Doug Robbins

That's the first mention of a Master Document being involved and I assume
that by what you have said, you may have seen
the article "Why Master Documents corrupt" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/Wh...ocsCorrupt.htm

and "How to recover a Master Document" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm

But as far as finding the location of a corrupt table in an ordinary
document, I can assure you that the method that I recommended is the best
way to go about it.
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Ray Turley A+,MCP,MCSE" wrote
in message ...

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

It might be that there IS a corrupt table in the document. Try splitting
the document into two and then open each half. If one half produces the
same message, split it in half again and repeat this process until to
isolate the table that is causing the problem.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a
paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP