Coder Droid

Default Word 2003 table style confusion

Just got Word 2003 (coming from Word 2000) and was thrilled to see the
new styles for lists and tables. That thrilling feeling quickly turned
to frustration when I can't for the life of me get it to work.

Is there a good, thorough tutorial for getting up to speed on this? The
options seem obvious, but it flat-out isn't working for me.

For example:

I have a simple two column table, no header/footer rows. I select my
format for "whole table". No problem. I then change the format for the
leftmost colunm to be bolded. Click okay. Apply it to my table. No bold.

What other magical mystical bit of alchemy is needed? I click the bold
button, it should show bold text.

Additionally: is there any way to specify the line spacing from within
the table, or do I rely on the underlying paragraph style?

--cd

Klaus Linke

Hi cd,

I have a simple two column table, no header/footer rows. I select my
format for "whole table". No problem. I then change the format for the
leftmost colunm to be bolded. Click okay. Apply it to my table. No bold.

Have you checked the check box to apply special formats for the left column?

Additionally: is there any way to specify the line spacing from within
the table, or do I rely on the underlying paragraph style?

You can specify line spacing in "Format Paragraph" (while defining the table
style).
But you'll need to be aware that all table styles get their default character
and paragraph formatting from the "Normal" paragraph style. And if you changed
your "Normal" paragraph style to, say, "Exactly 12 pt", this setting will
override anything you specify in the table style.

This is by design, according to Microsoft, but means you shouldn't modify
"Normal" in any way from the factory default if you want to use table styles.
And another weirdness: If you want to change the font size in the table style to
"10 pt", the "Normal" style needs to be 10 pt.

I don't think there's an article about table styles in the MVPs' FAQs. Many MVPs
seem to think that table styles are "not ready for prime time" yet.
In my experience, table styles are a great feature, but easily break apart. So
I'm careful when using them, and wary about recommending them.

Greetings,
Klaus

"Coder Droid" wrote:
Just got Word 2003 (coming from Word 2000) and was thrilled to see the
new styles for lists and tables. That thrilling feeling quickly turned
to frustration when I can't for the life of me get it to work.

Is there a good, thorough tutorial for getting up to speed on this? The
options seem obvious, but it flat-out isn't working for me.

For example:

I have a simple two column table, no header/footer rows. I select my
format for "whole table". No problem. I then change the format for the
leftmost colunm to be bolded. Click okay. Apply it to my table. No bold.

What other magical mystical bit of alchemy is needed? I click the bold
button, it should show bold text.

Additionally: is there any way to specify the line spacing from within
the table, or do I rely on the underlying paragraph style?

--cd

Coder Droid

I have a simple two column table, no header/footer rows. I select my
format for "whole table". No problem. I then change the format for
the leftmost colunm to be bolded. Click okay. Apply it to my table.
No bold.

Have you checked the check box to apply special formats for the left
column?

I don't even see anything like that...

The odd thing is, when I tried this with a 100% new, clean document, it
started working as advertised. When I went back to my real document, and
still had trouble. And, in this document, I've redefined Normal.

Additionally: is there any way to specify the line spacing from
within the table, or do I rely on the underlying paragraph style?

You can specify line spacing in "Format Paragraph" (while defining
the table style).

What's funny is that Format Paragraph shows "After: 0pt" (when
modifying the table style). However, this table is actually using
"After: 12pt" since that's what's in Normal.

But you'll need to be aware that all table styles get their default
character and paragraph formatting from the "Normal" paragraph style.
And if you changed your "Normal" paragraph style to, say, "Exactly
12 pt", this setting will override anything you specify in the table
style.

Yep. Explains the above.

This is by design, according to Microsoft, but means you shouldn't
modify "Normal" in any way from the factory default if you want to
use table styles.

I'd love to see the logic behind this. As is, these almost seem useless.

And another weirdness: If you want to change the font size in the
table style to "10 pt", the "Normal" style needs to be 10 pt.

I've played with this some more and have had some better luck with font
sizes within tables. I have two "Normal" styles. The first is the system
normal, which I have set at an 11pt font. Then I have a custom one
called "Normal Smaller" which is 10pt. I often like using the smaller
version in tables.

If I apply "Normal Smaller" to a paragraph, then click on the table
style: I'm okay. It retains the smaller. In fact, if I select the table,
click "Normal" to re-apply the default, it still works: it retains the
table formatting *and* increase the font size to 11pt. So I'm beginning
to get some understanding about this. Not that it's helped me with this
one particular table where I want the left column bolded (and
right-justified). Hrmph!

I don't think there's an article about table styles in the MVPs' FAQs.

There isn't. I looked there before posting. If I ever figure this out, I
may write something up and send it to them, and see what they think.

Many MVPs
seem to think that table styles are "not ready for prime time" yet.

I can see that.

Thanks for the reply,

--cd

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Coder,

Not that it's helped me with this
one particular table where I want the left column bolded (and
right-justified).

It's possible that this particular table's structure has been
damaged. Try selecting it, then Table/Convert/Table to text.
Then convert the text back to a table (don't UNDO, of course)
and see if things work any better.

Also, be sure to Ctrl+Spacebar and Ctrl+Q over the selection to
make sure no stray character or paragraph formatting is
interfering.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8
2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Klaus Linke

Have you checked the check box to apply special formats for the
left column?

I don't even see anything like that...

I use "Table Autoformat...", either from the table menu or the context menu.
The check boxes to apply special formats for header row, last row, first column,
last column are at the bottom.

Sorry if I get the menus/texts wrong: I don't have an English version to look at
right now.

Regards,
Klaus

Convert Word 2003 documents to WordPerfect formate Carol Microsoft Word Help 6 March 9th 06 08:11 AM
How to change merge forms from Word Perfect to Microsoft Word dollfindance Microsoft Word Help 2 December 30th 04 04:35 PM
macro in word js Microsoft Word Help 1 December 28th 04 04:01 AM
Text space in table cells in Word 2003 (using Windows XP) Jaykay Tables 1 December 2nd 04 12:16 PM
How do I convert a cd in word perfect to microsoft word greylady Microsoft Word Help 1 November 23rd 04 08:03 PM