transcribe

Default user-defined sort

Can I define a sort in MS Word 2002?

I need to sort multiple-line notes, separated by 4 hard returns, by 2nd
line, 2nd word.
Jay Freedman

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:31:06 -0800, "transcribe"
wrote:

Can I define a sort in MS Word 2002?

I need to sort multiple-line notes, separated by 4 hard returns, by 2nd
line, 2nd word.

You can't tell the built-in sort to do anything like that.

What you can do (or get a geek to do for you) is to write a macro that
carries out this process:

- Put the notes into a 1-column table, one note (4 paragraphs) per
row.
- Add a second column to the table.
- Find the second word of the second paragraph in each note, and put a
copy of that word in the other table cell in that row.
- Sort the table on the second column.
- Delete the second column.
- Convert the table back to text.

--