TCEBob

Default Word 2003: misbehaving formatting from OCR

Using Microsoft Office Document Scanning, I OCRd a letter and sent it on to
Word. For some reason the document thought it was HTML, but ok, I saved it as
..doc and proceeded. The usual glitches from OCR were easy to cope with. But
Numbering and Bulleting would not cooperate. When I highlighted a paragraph and
invoked numbering from the toolbar the entire document was numbered. Ctrl-Z-ing
back from there found the paragraph numbered correctly. But at the next instance
the same thing happened. Finally threw up my hands and gave up. Later it
occurred to me to copy the whole thing to Windows Clipboard and drop it in a new
document, but I haven't tried it yet.

I could not find a setting that controls whether formatting applies to a
selection or to the whole document. Is there one?

Can I impose my normal template on a document?

Thanks,

rs

Charles Kenyon

See http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Format...eformatted.htm.

For outline numbering see: How to create numbered headings or outline
numbering in your Word document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. (For
bullets see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/bull...olbullets.html, the
subject is related.)

Essentially, for anything at all complex or that will be heavily edited, do
_not_ use numbering or bullets from the toolbar!
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"TCEBob" tcebobatgwidotnet wrote in message
[...]

TCEBob

Charles,

Those are great references! I will set aside time later to go through in detail.
I did not know there was a .numbering group, so will check it there, too.