et

Default Using Duplicate Data

I write manuals, where there are a lot of areas that have the same data as
other areas, resulting in every time that text is modified, it has to be
modified in a gazillion places. This text may be a few words or several
paragraphs. What can I do to do something like put the text is one place
and a reference ??? everywhere else? Then when it prints or is viewed the
text will display in all the right places. Is using References what I am
looking for, will that do the trick? Or create a merge document, maybe?
How should I go about this. Any advice and recommendations are greatly
appreciated!

Greg Maxey

Have a look he
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

For the longer bits of text, you might consider IncludeText fields.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
A Peer in Peer to Peer Support

et wrote:
I write manuals, where there are a lot of areas that have the same
data as other areas, resulting in every time that text is modified,
it has to be modified in a gazillion places. This text may be a few
words or several paragraphs. What can I do to do something like put
the text is one place and a reference ??? everywhere else? Then when
it prints or is viewed the text will display in all the right places.
Is using References what I am looking for, will that do the trick? Or
create a merge document, maybe? How should I go about this. Any
advice and recommendations are greatly appreciated!

TF

You're on the right lines. You need to Bookmark your text and use
IncludeText Field to populate other areas with the text. Look up IncludeText
Field in Word's on line Help for more information about using it and the
switches available. There's also an IncludePicture field too.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"et" wrote in message
:I write manuals, where there are a lot of areas that have the same data as
: other areas, resulting in every time that text is modified, it has to be
: modified in a gazillion places. This text may be a few words or several
: paragraphs. What can I do to do something like put the text is one place
: and a reference ??? everywhere else? Then when it prints or is viewed the
: text will display in all the right places. Is using References what I am
: looking for, will that do the trick? Or create a merge document, maybe?
: How should I go about this. Any advice and recommendations are greatly
: appreciated!
:
: