Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TOMK TOMK is offline

Default Refresh Not Working Properly

I have a mailmerge set up using an ACCESS Query connected via an ODBC
connection to a SQL database. When I set the mail merge up originally, it
worked fine and brought in all the records. The database has been updated
and when I re-run the query in ACCESS I see the new records, but in Word,
even after "Refresh" in the mailmerge, the new records fail to show up. If I
re-assign the same query as my data source, the record selection box shows no
records. I am sure it has something to do withthe ODBC connection, but how
do I get it to work properly without having to regenerate the entire mail
merge?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
--
Tomk
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which version of Word/Access are you using, and which "connection method"
are you using to get the data from Access (DDE, the default in Word 97/2000,
OLE DB, the default in Word 2002 and later, or ODBC? Or maybe you are going
through MS Query?)

Does the Access query use wildcards? Can you post the Query's SQL text here?
(Actually, I do not think this can be relevant if the query is working OK
the first time you use it, but this is "just in case")

With your mail merge main document open and the data source /newly/ attached
(i.e. so you see some records) can you start the Word VBA Editor, type the
following in the Immediate window and post the results here. (If it's Word
2002, unfortunately you may find that trying to print the connectstring
crashes Word, so I would leave that one out in that case)

print activedocument.mailmerge.datasource.name
print activedocument.mailmerge.datasource.connectstring
print activedocument.mailmerge.datasource.querystring

Peter Jamieson

"TOMK" wrote in message
I have a mailmerge set up using an ACCESS Query connected via an ODBC
connection to a SQL database. When I set the mail merge up originally, it
worked fine and brought in all the records. The database has been updated
and when I re-run the query in ACCESS I see the new records, but in Word,
even after "Refresh" in the mailmerge, the new records fail to show up.
If I
re-assign the same query as my data source, the record selection box shows
no
records. I am sure it has something to do withthe ODBC connection, but
how
do I get it to work properly without having to regenerate the entire mail
merge?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
--
Tomk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TOMK TOMK is offline

Thanks, Peter.

I will try this tomorrow from work. It is Word and ACESS 2003.

I appreciate your help.
--
Tomk

"TOMK" wrote in message
I have a mailmerge set up using an ACCESS Query connected via an ODBC
connection to a SQL database. When I set the mail merge up originally, it
worked fine and brought in all the records. The database has been updated
and when I re-run the query in ACCESS I see the new records, but in Word,
even after "Refresh" in the mailmerge, the new records fail to show up.
If I
re-assign the same query as my data source, the record selection box shows
no
records. I am sure it has something to do withthe ODBC connection, but
how
do I get it to work properly without having to regenerate the entire mail
merge?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
--
Tomk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
TOMK TOMK is offline

Peter,

I am not 100% sure what I did, but I retried the re-linking the query and
set up a new connection with ODBC, and I got it working. I think it was an
issue with the Password not being refreshed somehow, and that was why I
wasn't getting any data.

I do appreciate the fact that you responded and helped me out.

Regards

Tom
--
Tomk

"TOMK" wrote in message
I have a mailmerge set up using an ACCESS Query connected via an ODBC
connection to a SQL database. When I set the mail merge up originally, it
worked fine and brought in all the records. The database has been updated
and when I re-run the query in ACCESS I see the new records, but in Word,
even after "Refresh" in the mailmerge, the new records fail to show up.
If I
re-assign the same query as my data source, the record selection box shows
no
records. I am sure it has something to do withthe ODBC connection, but
how
do I get it to work properly without having to regenerate the entire mail
merge?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
--
Tomk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK. I have certainly had "timing" problems with some types of Word
2003/Access 2003 queries (and the same problems did not exist in Word
2002/Access 2002) where the query referenced a table in another .mdb or
database.

Peter Jamieson