Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Martha Martha is offline

Default Create two column document with mail merge

I'm trying to create "bid sheets" for silent auction. The mail merge has a
"table" to hold Item Number/Name, a "table" for any restrictions, and a
"table" for Value. Then a lot of blank lines where folks can put down their
name, bidder Number and bid. Under 2003 I could got this to merge into a two
column document (so we can print and cut in half), but under 2007, when I
create a column break, it seems to make it a page break, and after 37 tries
of trying everything under the sun, I've given up. It's not too wide - if I
create a page break, then when the letters are created, delete the page
break, it turns into a two column document. Anyway, it's driving me to drink.
Suggestions?
Martha
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Word 2007 makes a column break a page break if you have not already set more
than one column per page for the section.

e.g. if you start with a completely new document, then use Page
Layout-Columns to set 2 columns, then enter your text and fields and insert
the column break where you need it, you may get closer to what you need.

(Sorry, I haven't tried upgrading a Word 2003 document with multiple columns
to 2007, which may well be where the trouble starts).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Martha" wrote in message
I'm trying to create "bid sheets" for silent auction. The mail merge has a
"table" to hold Item Number/Name, a "table" for any restrictions, and a
"table" for Value. Then a lot of blank lines where folks can put down
their
name, bidder Number and bid. Under 2003 I could got this to merge into a
two
column document (so we can print and cut in half), but under 2007, when I
create a column break, it seems to make it a page break, and after 37
tries
of trying everything under the sun, I've given up. It's not too wide - if
create a page break, then when the letters are created, delete the page
break, it turns into a two column document. Anyway, it's driving me to
drink.
Suggestions?
Martha

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Martha Martha is offline

I finally got it to work - turns out although it looked like it was a page
break - if I set my printer settings to print two pages on the same piece of
paper, it worked fine. So I think that is different between 03 and 07. In the
past I'd see the two columns on the one "page" - but this one I have to
define it as Portrait (although it's really landscape) and say print two
pages per page.... and it worked.
But thanks for your answer - that may help if I get stuck back in the
situation (next year at the same time when the silent auction bid sheets have
to be created again....)

Martha