bellabell

Default how do i delete a read-only document

I have a document in Microsoft word which I wish to delete. It is showing as
a read-only document and I cannot delete it. It says it is locked for editing
when I try to open it, but I can view it by pressing read only button. When I
try and delete it I get the message : Access is denied. Not sure why it is
read only as I have not saved it this way. And the read only tab is not
checked either. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.
Cynthia

who created it? If it is password protected you will need that piece of
information. I don't know if this will work or not, but if you go into
Windows Explorer and click on the file itself to select it, Right click and
select PROPERTIES. This will open a window with information on it. At the
bottom you will see some check boxes. Is the one marked "Read Only" checked
? Try unchecking it.
I'm not sure if my memory serves me correctly, but there is a command you
can type at the DOS prompt with switches that might do this and allow you to
delete it.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
have a document in Microsoft word which I wish to delete. It is showing as
a read-only document and I cannot delete it. It says it is locked for
editing
when I try to open it, but I can view it by pressing read only button. When
try and delete it I get the message : Access is denied. Not sure why it is
read only as I have not saved it this way. And the read only tab is not
checked either. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

garfield-n-odie

See http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=313472 "'The document is
locked for editing by another user' error message when you try to
open a document in Word".

bellabell wrote:

I have a document in Microsoft word which I wish to delete. It is showing as
a read-only document and I cannot delete it. It says it is locked for editing
when I try to open it, but I can view it by pressing read only button. When I
try and delete it I get the message : Access is denied. Not sure why it is
read only as I have not saved it this way. And the read only tab is not
checked either. Hope this makes sense. Thanks.

Amedee Van Gasse

Cynthia shared this with us in microsoft.public.word.docmanagement:

I'm not sure if my memory serves me correctly, but there is a command
you can type at the DOS prompt with switches that might do this and
allow you to delete it.

attrib -r filename

--
Amedee Van Gasse