Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

Default Unable to Delete Blank Page

I recently modified an existing document to add a Header and it worked
as advertized. Unfortunately, when I go to "View", now there is a Page
4 which is now blank and I want to delete it, but I can't figure out
how! Please advise! I'm currently using Word 2010, Ver. 14.0.6129.
Thanks!

Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

First, press Ctrl-Shift-8 to turn on "Show Non-Printing Characters."

Do you see any paragraph marks with no text? Delete them.

Do you see any little black squares in the margins? If you do, place your
cursor in the paragraph(s) they are next to, and choose their Paragraph
Style again. (This is in case they have somehow gotten marked "Page Break
Before.")

Switch to "Draft View." Do any unwanted Section Breaks appear? Delete them.

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:42:37 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
I recently modified an existing document to add a Header and it worked
as advertized. Unfortunately, when I go to "View", now there is a Page
4 which is now blank and I want to delete it, but I can't figure out
how! Please advise! I'm currently using Word 2010, Ver. 14.0.6129.
Thanks!

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

It sounds like your text completely filled up two pages. Perhaps if you set
the spacing to one line. Or, set the space paragraph spacing to 0 points
before and 4 points after, it might jus shrink it enough to eliminate the
blank page. Or both.

Gordo

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote in message

First, press Ctrl-Shift-8 to turn on "Show Non-Printing Characters."

Do you see any paragraph marks with no text? Delete them.

Do you see any little black squares in the margins? If you do, place your
cursor in the paragraph(s) they are next to, and choose their Paragraph
Style again. (This is in case they have somehow gotten marked "Page Break
Before.")

Switch to "Draft View." Do any unwanted Section Breaks appear? Delete them.

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:42:37 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
I recently modified an existing document to add a Header and it worked
as advertized. Unfortunately, when I go to "View", now there is a Page
4 which is now blank and I want to delete it, but I can't figure out
how! Please advise! I'm currently using Word 2010, Ver. 14.0.6129.
Thanks!

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

Thanks to both! I somehow got a Page Break inserted; once I deleted
the PB, the 4th page disappeared!

Bill

On Sat, 20 Jul 2013 15:46:23 -0700 (PDT), "Peter T. Daniels"
wrote:

First, press Ctrl-Shift-8 to turn on "Show Non-Printing Characters."

Do you see any paragraph marks with no text? Delete them.

Do you see any little black squares in the margins? If you do, place your
cursor in the paragraph(s) they are next to, and choose their Paragraph
Style again. (This is in case they have somehow gotten marked "Page Break
Before.")

Switch to "Draft View." Do any unwanted Section Breaks appear? Delete them.

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:42:37 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
I recently modified an existing document to add a Header and it worked
as advertized. Unfortunately, when I go to "View", now there is a Page
4 which is now blank and I want to delete it, but I can't figure out
how! Please advise! I'm currently using Word 2010, Ver. 14.0.6129.
Thanks!

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
gordo gordo is offline

I always recommend to my students (seniors) that they use Print Layout view
and that they always have Show/Hide turned on. You can immediately see why
your pages look the way that they do.

Gordo

wrote:

First, press Ctrl-Shift-8 to turn on "Show Non-Printing Characters."

Do you see any paragraph marks with no text? Delete them.

Do you see any little black squares in the margins? If you do, place your
cursor in the paragraph(s) they are next to, and choose their Paragraph
Style again. (This is in case they have somehow gotten marked "Page Break
Before.")

Switch to "Draft View." Do any unwanted Section Breaks appear? Delete them.

On Saturday, July 20, 2013 5:42:37 PM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
I recently modified an existing document to add a Header and it worked
as advertized. Unfortunately, when I go to "View", now there is a Page
4 which is now blank and I want to delete it, but I can't figure out
how! Please advise! I'm currently using Word 2010, Ver. 14.0.6129.
Thanks!

Bill

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Very good advice! I'd recommend using Text Boundaries as well, in Word
97-2010. In Word 2013, unfortunately, text boundaries are only useful for
documents opened in compatibility mode.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bill Bill is offline

Gordo & Stefan,

Thanks for the advice - I only recently started using Text Boundaries
but I'm not sure that the much older file I was modifying was even
displaying TB! I only have Word 2010 but it's good to know that TB
will be available only in a certain mode in Word 2013!

Bill

On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 19:39:57 +0200, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:

Very good advice! I'd recommend using Text Boundaries as well, in Word
97-2010. In Word 2013, unfortunately, text boundaries are only useful for
documents opened in compatibility mode.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To clarify, text boundaries are available even in files upgraded to Word
2013 format, but the boundaries enclose individual paragraphs, making them
useless. (For text boundaries to be useful, they should indicate the area
available for text entering between margins of a text container such as a
page, text box, and table cell.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP