Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
slgentile slgentile is offline

Default How do I turn on the "footnote continued on next page" feature?

If my footnote is to long for one page and it continues on the next page, I
do I indicate this? In WP there is a continued feature that puts "footnote
continued" at the beginning of the continuation. Is there a similar feature
in Word 2007?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can define a "Footnote Continuation Notice," but I don't necessarily
advise it because it has problems (don't remember exactly what they were
since it's been more than ten years since I experimented with it). Usually
it's pretty obvious that a footnote is continued, especially if it breaks in
the middle of a sentence. This is also indicated by the presence of the
Footnote Continuation Separator on the next page instead of the Footnote
Separator.

If you insist on doing it, though, switch to Draft view and click on Show
Notes. This opens the footnote pane. There's a toolbar with one dropdown
list, one of the items on which is the Footnote Continuation Notice, which
you can have say anything you like.

"slgentile" wrote in message
If my footnote is to long for one page and it continues on the next page,
do I indicate this? In WP there is a continued feature that puts
"footnote
continued" at the beginning of the continuation. Is there a similar
feature
in Word 2007?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The only time that would ever be used is if the footnote is broken at
some point that suggests it's complete as it reads on the first page
(for instance, if the carryover happens to start a new paragraph), and
even so it would be odd. If you _must_ have such an indication, why
not type it in?

But as you've already noticed, a continued footnote by default follows
the ordinary typographic practice of a rule (a line) all the way
across the page, versus a short line above the footnotes on any other
page.

If you want to mess with it, Suzanne has explained how.