Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janmd janmd is offline

Default Tab characters in Word tables

I want to copy two cells of a Word table (One containing name and
titleand other containing address) and paste onto an envelope for
mailing purposes. I still need to keep the two columns for other
purposes. At present this results in a tab being put on to the
envelope and having to reformat. Is there a way using Find and Replace
to remove the tab character which is created when moving to next cell
within a table?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can use Find and Replace to get rid of undesired tab characters. Replace
^t with nothing.

Note, however, that no tab character is inserted when you press the Tab key
within a table. You will have to press Ctrl+Tab to create a tab character
when the insertion point is inside a table cell.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"janmd" wrote in message

I want to copy two cells of a Word table (One containing name and
titleand other containing address) and paste onto an envelope for
mailing purposes. I still need to keep the two columns for other
purposes. At present this results in a tab being put on to the
envelope and having to reformat. Is there a way using Find and Replace
to remove the tab character which is created when moving to next cell
within a table?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janmd janmd is offline

---------------------------------------------"janmd" *wrote in message

I want to copy two cells of a Word table (One containing name and
titleand other containing address) and paste onto an envelope for
mailing purposes. I still need to keep the two columns for other
purposes. At present this results in a tab being put on to the
envelope and having to reformat. Is there a way using Find and Replace
to remove the tab character which is created when moving to next cell
within a table?

I don't think the Tab character which is created when you press Tab to
go to the next cell in a table is ^T as I have already tried that. Do
you know what the relevant symbol is for Find and Replace of that
character or can it not be deleted because it is an intricate part of
the table? Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. What exactly are you trying
to delete?

As I wrote, when you press Tab in a table cell, to move to the next cell, no
tab character is added.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"janmd" wrote in message

---------------------------------------------"janmd" wrote in message

I want to copy two cells of a Word table (One containing name and
titleand other containing address) and paste onto an envelope for
mailing purposes. I still need to keep the two columns for other
purposes. At present this results in a tab being put on to the
envelope and having to reformat. Is there a way using Find and Replace
to remove the tab character which is created when moving to next cell
within a table?

I don't think the Tab character which is created when you press Tab to
go to the next cell in a table is ^T as I have already tried that. Do
you know what the relevant symbol is for Find and Replace of that
character or can it not be deleted because it is an intricate part of
the table? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janmd janmd is offline

On Apr 6, 4:36*am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. *What exactly are you trying
to delete?

As I wrote, when you press Tab in a table cell, to move to the next cell, no
tab character is added.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

---------------------------------------------"janmd" *wrote in message

On Apr 4, 10:00 am, "Stefan Blom"

---------------------------------------------"janmd" *wrote in message

I want to copy two cells of a Word table (One containing name and
titleand other containing address) and paste onto an envelope for
mailing purposes. I still need to keep the two columns for other
purposes. At present this results in a tab being put on to the
envelope and having to reformat. Is there a way using Find and Replace
to remove the tab character which is created when moving to next cell
within a table?

I don't think the Tab character which is created when you press Tab to
go to the next cell in a table is ^T as I have already tried that. Do
you know what the relevant symbol is for Find and Replace of that
character or can it not be deleted because it is an intricate part of
the table? Thanks

What character is created then; there is definitely a character shown
if you click the Show/Hide button.
If I copy two cells and paste on to an envelope (Mailings - Envelopes)
a tab space is left between part of the address.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Each cell is terminated by an end-of-cell marker (and each row is terminated
by an end-of-row marker).

When pasting cells, the behavior depends in which format you paste. Pasting
in *plain text* format would introduce tab characters; that is correct.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"janmd" wrote in message

On Apr 6, 4:36 am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. What exactly are you
trying
to delete?

As I wrote, when you press Tab in a table cell, to move to the next cell,
no
tab character is added.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

---------------------------------------------"janmd" wrote in message

On Apr 4, 10:00 am, "Stefan Blom"

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For more on nonprinting marks, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote in message ...

Each cell is terminated by an end-of-cell marker (and each row is terminated
by an end-of-row marker).

When pasting cells, the behavior depends in which format you paste. Pasting
in *plain text* format would introduce tab characters; that is correct.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"janmd" wrote in message

On Apr 6, 4:36 am, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. What exactly are you
trying
to delete?

As I wrote, when you press Tab in a table cell, to move to the next cell,
no
tab character is added.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

---------------------------------------------"janmd" wrote in message

On Apr 4, 10:00 am, "Stefan Blom"

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janmd janmd is offline

On Apr 11, 5:38*pm, "Stefan Blom"
wrote:
For more on nonprinting marks, seehttp://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/NonPrintChars.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" *wrote in ...

Each cell is terminated by an end-of-cell marker (and each row is terminated
by an end-of-row marker).

When pasting cells, the behavior depends in which format you paste. Pasting
in *plain text* format would introduce tab characters; that is correct.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

---------------------------------------------"janmd" *wrote in message

On Apr 6, 4:36 am, "Stefan Blom"

wrote:
I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. *What exactly are you
trying
to delete?

As I wrote, when you press Tab in a table cell, to move to the next cell,
no
tab character is added.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

---------------------------------------------"janmd" *wrote in message

On Apr 4, 10:00 am, "Stefan Blom"

---------------------------------------------"janmd" *wrote in message

[...]

I presume I can't do a find and replace on end-of-cell marker? When
pasting on to envelopes, I don't think there are any options as to how
to paste. Thanks for all your advice so far.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

No, you cant find and replace the end-of-cell marker. But note that you can
(manually) delete undesired content from the Envelopes and Labels dialog box
before printing.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"janmd" wrote in message
I presume I can't do a find and replace on end-of-cell marker? When
pasting on to envelopes, I don't think there are any options as to how
to paste. Thanks for all your advice so far.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
janmd janmd is offline

I presume I can't do a find and replace on end-of-cell marker? When
pasting on to envelopes, I don't think there are any options as to how
to paste. Thanks for all your advice so far.

Many thanks. I know I can manually change things in the Envelopes.