Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.office.setup,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Thomas McGregor

Default Word2003 Can this be: "Unrestricted access"=yes AND password protected ??

I got a Word 2003 document where the menu File-Permissions show a check at "Unrestricted access"
but is at the same time "password protected"?

From my point of view a password protected file cannot be "Unrestricted". It is restricted.

Thomas

Posted to microsoft.public.office.misc,microsoft.public.office.setup,microsoft.public.word.newusers,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Thomas,

I got a Word 2003 document where the menu File-Permissions show a check at

"Unrestricted access"
but is at the same time "password protected"?

From my point of view a password protected file cannot be "Unrestricted". It is

restricted.

Your discussing oranges and bananas, here. File/Permissions has to do with IRM
technology, and is controlled from a properly configured Windows 2003 server. Using
the Tools/Protect document command and taskpane, text ranges within a document can
be selected and assigned to allow only certain people editing permission.
"Unrestricted access" means this has not been done.

Password protection is something totally integrated in the Word application and
applies to the entire file. It pre-dates IRM and the File/Permissions stuff by more
than a decade :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)