Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maximus1212

Default Word 2004 for Mac: Bullets won't advance to 2nd level or beyond..

I'm a student that writes a lot of papers, and just recently the bulleting in
my Word 2004 for Mac stopped working both on my powerbook G4 and on my iMac.
The bullets will not tab over to the 2nd level or beyond...they simply stay
at the first level (making it extremely difficult to outline or have
sub-thoughts of thoughts...).

I have spent a couple of hours searching the web and through the program for
solutions, but so far have come up dry. Does anyone have any ideas about how
to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Trish Vrooman

Try either using the indent buttons on the formatting toolbar or verify a tab
setting under, Tools, Autocorrect options, under AutoFormat as you type Tab,
bottom of window, make sure "set left and first indent with tabs and
backspaces" is checked. Then using the tab key in outlining will give you
the next level.

"maximus1212" wrote:

I'm a student that writes a lot of papers, and just recently the bulleting in
my Word 2004 for Mac stopped working both on my powerbook G4 and on my iMac.
The bullets will not tab over to the 2nd level or beyond...they simply stay
at the first level (making it extremely difficult to outline or have
sub-thoughts of thoughts...).

I have spent a couple of hours searching the web and through the program for
solutions, but so far have come up dry. Does anyone have any ideas about how
to fix this? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer....

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

Better to post MacWord questions to the MacWord newsgroup (see below).

Trish is right about the answer--but on the Mac, the setting for "set left
and first indent with tabs and backspaces" is under Word | Preferences |
Edit, and is called "tabs and backspace set left indent".

See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Trish Vrooman

Default Word 2004 for Mac: Bullets won't advance to 2nd level or beyo

Thank you. Yes, my answer relates to Word 2002/03 on Windows XP. sorry
about that.

Trish V.

*******************

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daiya Mitchell

No apology needed, Trish, you didn't do anything wrong. A lot of the
commands *are* the same, actually, and I'm a Mac user who learns a lot here.
That was just a really nice example of why it's worth the extra trouble for
Mac users to find the Mac newsgroups.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Better to post MacWord questions to the MacWord newsgroup (see below).

Trish is right about the answer--but on the Mac, the setting for "set left
and first indent with tabs and backspaces" is under Word | Preferences |
Edit, and is called "tabs and backspace set left indent".

See here for Google/Entourage gateway to newsgroups for MacWord, MacExcel,
and other MS programs for the Mac:
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/community/community.aspx?pid=newsgroups

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maximus1212

Thanks for the help. I got everything corrected and working now...still not
quite sure how the setting was turned off...

Also, I will look for the Mac forum next time. Wasn't sure where it was at
when I posted this.

Thanks again to both of you!
Brian

WP merge file to Word sstires Tables 4 February 14th 06 06:26 PM
Customize Outline Numbered List box question Soccerman58 New Users 9 January 17th 06 06:17 PM