tommac27

Default word will not open any documents

I get a *.doc is not available error message nomatter how I try and open a
document. When you exit, the program wants to save the normal.dot file, more
than once.
Also, EXCEL gives an Unable to read file error.

garfield-n-odie

Disable the Office Plugin that comes with Symantec/Norton AntiVirus. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office programs with
the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more info.

"tommac27" wrote:

I get a *.doc is not available error message nomatter how I try and open a
document. When you exit, the program wants to save the normal.dot file, more
than once.
Also, EXCEL gives an Unable to read file error.

tommac27

Thank you soooo very much. Unfortunately it was not that easy, but it was
the correct fix. Several days ago I deleted Norton to use another virus
scanner. The uninstall must have missed a few entries. I cleaned a few
entries with regedit.
Thanks again.
Tom

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you are using Norton AntiVirus (or a similar Symantec product), disable
its Office Plug-in.

"tommac27" wrote in message
news
I get a *.doc is not available error message nomatter how I try and open

document. When you exit, the program wants to save the normal.dot file,

more
than once.
Also, EXCEL gives an Unable to read file error.

Graham Mayor

The corporate version doesn't have the plug-in

Search for : officeav.dll

If you find it then go to Start/Run and run the following command:

regsvr32 /u "path\officeav.dll"

"tommac27" wrote:

I get a *.doc is not available error message nomatter how I try
and open a document. When you exit, the program wants to save
the normal.dot file, more than once.
Also, EXCEL gives an Unable to read file error.

whitey811

I had the same problem, and fixed it by deleting the file "officeav.dll" as
suggested in some of the following comments. Specifically, go to START, RUN,
and type in regsvr32 /u "file location\officeav.dll". I didn't even
have to restart for this to work.