Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Default applying new template strategy

I am going to be tasked with applying a new template to about 65 proposal
documents. Some of these documents had an earlier life in Word Perfect. Some
are very graphic intensive and large in file size; others are mostly just
text intensive. Further, these current documents are inconsisently formatted
(hence the need for a new template). By this I mean page setup,
headers/footers, logos and their size, styles names and their definitions,
and some have left/right pages while most are set up for single page. I do
not think any single document exceeds 80 pages. All use outline numbering for
heading levels and this much I know will be true in the new template.

I do not yet know what other changes there are to be in the new template,
but I would like to be looking ahead to what could become a massive amount of
work.

I am operating in Word 97 SR2. Does anyone have a sound stategy they can
offer without knowing more of what the nuts and bolts changes are in the new
template. Or, is it best to wait and see what the new template contains
before forming a strategy.

Any guidance or suggestions would be most appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

Create new documents based on your new template. Paste text from the old
documents into the new documents as plain unformatted text. (Edit Paste
Special) Apply styles as appropriate.

Converted documents from Word Perfect contain extra baggage. You may want to
first save these as plain text files and then copy the text from those plain
text files.

Graphics will need to be inserted one at a time.

Sorry that I don't have a "push this button then use this menu choice"
solution for you. What you are attempting is labor intensive if you want to
end up with a good result.

Finally, save your new documents as templates. Use those templates for the
creation of new documents.

For more on the different kinds of templates, tabs on the file new dialog,
and locations of templates folders see
http://addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
cayce cayce is offline

Charles:

I appreciate for the sound advice. I have started to review the link on
templates you supplied and see that you have put considerable time and effort
into helping other Word users. Thank you.

And by the way, Madison's farmer's market is positively awesome! It's a must
when I get to visit.

Peace

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Charles Kenyon Charles Kenyon is offline

You are welcome.

Unfortunately strawberry time is over at the Farmer's Market, but apples
should be arriving before too long.
--

"cayce" wrote in message
[...]

How to Open Template as Template NOT as '.doc' ? [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 9 June 27th 06 12:13 AM
Applying Styles from a template to an existing document gus Microsoft Word Help 2 April 5th 06 05:44 AM
How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 10:29 PM
How to repair a broken link to template. Gary Burton Formatting Long Documents 9 January 27th 06 12:48 PM
template styles not applying correctly to document Kimmie B Microsoft Word Help 4 June 23rd 05 05:09 PM