Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wordspinster wordspinster is offline

Default Two outlines in one

Before I try to make this work, I'll ask if anybody knows if Word will just
blow up.

I have been handed a document "template" to make it into a real template.
The person who gave it to me wants it outline-numbered to the paragraph level
so that it will look something like:

1. Heading1
1.1 Text describing heading1
1.2 New paragraph text describing heading1
2. Heading2
2.1 SubHeading of Heading2
2.1.1 Text describing subheading
2.2 Text describing Heading2

Lines 1, 2 and 2.1 are headings and need to be bold. Lines 1.1, 1.2, 2.1.1
and 2.2 will be descriptive text, and so will not have formatting emphasis.

What I think I need to do is to set up Heading and Body Text styles that are
attached to the same outline levels, thus:

Level1 Heading1
Level2 Heading2, BodyText1
Level3 Heading3, BodyText2
Level4 BodyText3

Can anybody tell me if using two different styles that use the same outline
levels will conflict or cause problems?

janet
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel Jezebel is offline

You can have any number of styles with the same outline level -- that's
quite a common requirement; but they will be indistinguishable in your TOC.

"wordspinster" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In a numbering scheme, you can't attach two different styles to the
same level of numbering. However, you can base a style on a numbered
one, and thus make it "re-use" the numbering scheme.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wordspinster wordspinster is offline

Thanks Stefan. I'll give it a try. Wish me luck.

janet

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

In a numbering scheme, you can't attach two different styles to the
same level of numbering. However, you can base a style on a numbered
one, and thus make it "re-use" the numbering scheme.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
wordspinster wordspinster is offline

Good point. Thanks for the reminder to check the setup of the TOC.

janet

"Jezebel" wrote:

You can have any number of styles with the same outline level -- that's
quite a common requirement; but they will be indistinguishable in your TOC.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Ask again, if you run into difficulties. You may want to set up the
styles first, then link to numbering.

For more information, see:

How to create numbered headings or outline numbering in your Microsoft
Word document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

How styles in Microsoft Word cascade
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...esCascade.html