Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sue C Sue C is offline

Default Merge Fields - 2007

It's probably several versions since I last used mail merge, so am rather
rusty. When I set up my main document and insert merge fields into it, the
merge fields aren't showing on the screen (although they work okay once I
merge the data). I am used to seeing something like name to indicate a
merge field.

There must be a setting somewhere to change this, but I cannot find it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sue
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sue C Sue C is offline

"Sue C" wrote:

It's probably several versions since I last used mail merge, so am rather
rusty. When I set up my main document and insert merge fields into it, the
merge fields aren't showing on the screen (although they work okay once I
merge the data). I am used to seeing something like name to indicate a
merge field.

There must be a setting somewhere to change this, but I cannot find it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
Sue

Forgot to say - I've tried the Highlight Merge Fields option, but as well as
showing the field on the screen this prints them out highlighted once the
data has been merged - which looks crappy!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There are several different things to consider:
a. use Alt-F9 to toggle between "field codes" view where you see {
MERGEFIELD x } and "field results/preview" mode where you see either x
or some data
b. in the Mailings ribbon, use the Preview Results button at the left of
the Preview Results Panel to change between x and results.
c. for some field types you may also need to check the show hidden text
option (somewhere under Office Button|Word options)

Peter Jamieson