Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KJ KJ is offline

Default reset header format

I have Work 2007 and I (unfortunately) managed to change the formatting of
the Header Quick Parts "Blank". It now adds an extra line by automatically
entering. I can manually delete the extra line, but I'd like to get rid of
the auto return. It also no longer shows the field box, just [type text].
It is not shaded or highlighted in any way and when I type my text, my text
no longer automatically types over it. I have to manually delete it, too.

I've deleted 1033 twice to reset the building block file and I've had Word
2007 recreate the normal.dot twice, hoping to reset it. I'm thinking that I
will have to rebuild "Blank" but I can't figure out how.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

Using Word 2007 on Windows Vista Home Premium

In Microsoft Office Word Help (F1), see €śI don't see galleries of page
numbers, headers and footers, cover pages, or equations€ť at
(Word Home Creating specific documents Templates)

Or create your own Blank header.
1. Insert Header Blank (Three Columns)
2. Place cursor at the end of the line. ([End], [End])
3. Delete columns two and three. (Backspace eight times)
4. Select header. (drag mouse over header field)
5. Create header. (Header Save Selection to Header Gallery€¦)
6. Name: ( e.g. My Blank)
7 . Click. [ OK ]
8. Check for new header. (General, at bottom of list of headers)
9. Save changes on closing Word.

"kj" wrote:

I have Work 2007 and I (unfortunately) managed to change the formatting of
the Header Quick Parts "Blank". It now adds an extra line by automatically
entering. I can manually delete the extra line, but I'd like to get rid of
the auto return. It also no longer shows the field box, just [type text].
It is not shaded or highlighted in any way and when I type my text, my text
no longer automatically types over it. I have to manually delete it, too.

I've deleted 1033 twice to reset the building block file and I've had Word
2007 recreate the normal.dot twice, hoping to reset it. I'm thinking that I
will have to rebuild "Blank" but I can't figure out how.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KJ KJ is offline

My last message didn't go through correctly - let me try this again. I built
my own header, following your wonderful directions (Thank you for making them
so easy to follow!)

My question is that the "[type text]" no longer appears in the blue box. It
just pops up where I have the alignment set - is the missing box something to
worry about?

"kj" wrote:

I have Work 2007 and I (unfortunately) managed to change the formatting of
the Header Quick Parts "Blank". It now adds an extra line by automatically
entering. I can manually delete the extra line, but I'd like to get rid of
the auto return. It also no longer shows the field box, just [type text].
It is not shaded or highlighted in any way and when I type my text, my text
no longer automatically types over it. I have to manually delete it, too.

I've deleted 1033 twice to reset the building block file and I've had Word
2007 recreate the normal.dot twice, hoping to reset it. I'm thinking that I
will have to rebuild "Blank" but I can't figure out how.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

The blue box is a content control which provides instructional text for
users, and in this case disappears when they type in their text. The blue
box should appear when you highlight (click) the text and the [Type text] and
blue box should disappear when add your own text.

"kj" wrote:

I have Work 2007 and I (unfortunately) managed to change the formatting of
the Header Quick Parts "Blank". It now adds an extra line by automatically
entering. I can manually delete the extra line, but I'd like to get rid of
the auto return. It also no longer shows the field box, just [type text].
It is not shaded or highlighted in any way and when I type my text, my text
no longer automatically types over it. I have to manually delete it, too.

I've deleted 1033 twice to reset the building block file and I've had Word
2007 recreate the normal.dot twice, hoping to reset it. I'm thinking that I
will have to rebuild "Blank" but I can't figure out how.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KJ KJ is offline

I'm having problems with the content control box. What exactly should I
highlight in step 4, what color should it be and do I include the paragraph
mark?

By dragging my mouse, I've had "[type text]" highlighted in:
blue but no box,
gray inside the blue box
slate blue/gray with the box highlighted as well
also, all the above with and without the paragraph mark at the end.

I've tried all of these, one at a time, saving in the header gallery. When I
test the header that I made and saved, I get [type text] in the regular font,
no highlighting or contents control box.

[type text] will highlight in blue if I click on it, but I still have to
reposition the curser because I if just start typing where I clicked, the
"type text" message doesn't disappear.

I went back through some of the other headers in the gallery and with those
you just pick it from the gallery, and it pops in the document, with the blue
box. I don't have to do anything but start typing and the "type text"
message disappears.

How do I get the header to automatically give me the content control box and
the cursor at the right place to start typing like the other gallery headers?
I checked the properties box in the design mode tab on the ones I tried to
make and the box is checked that removes content control with editing.

Thanks for your help!

KJ

"kj" wrote:

I have Work 2007 and I (unfortunately) managed to change the formatting of
the Header Quick Parts "Blank". It now adds an extra line by automatically
entering. I can manually delete the extra line, but I'd like to get rid of
the auto return. It also no longer shows the field box, just [type text].
It is not shaded or highlighted in any way and when I type my text, my text
no longer automatically types over it. I have to manually delete it, too.

I've deleted 1033 twice to reset the building block file and I've had Word
2007 recreate the normal.dot twice, hoping to reset it. I'm thinking that I
will have to rebuild "Blank" but I can't figure out how.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KJ KJ is offline

I just re-read your first post again. We run Word 2007 on XP, not Vista - is
that why I can't get the formatting right?

I have a "Blank" gallery selection for headers, but it automatically gives
me a hard return (like I hit the enter key) and moves down 1 line. I then
have the line that I put my text on (inside the content control box) that has
a paragraph mark at the end of the my text, as I should, and another
paragraph mark 1 line below that somehow got formatted into the header
selection.

One of the paragraph marks is throwing the whole thing off - I'm not sure
which is the nusance and which is suppossed to be there... Before things got
wacky, I would enter my text and then click on "close header" and then move
on to the rest of the document. This extra paragraph mark is also causing
trouble when I close the header using the "close header" button. The
paragraph mark stays there so I usually have to click on it, and hit "close"
a few more times before it finally deletes.

If there's a magic fix for the extra paragraph mark, that should fix my
problem...(I hope)

"kj" wrote:

I have Work 2007 and I (unfortunately) managed to change the formatting of
the Header Quick Parts "Blank". It now adds an extra line by automatically
entering. I can manually delete the extra line, but I'd like to get rid of
the auto return. It also no longer shows the field box, just [type text].
It is not shaded or highlighted in any way and when I type my text, my text
no longer automatically types over it. I have to manually delete it, too.

I've deleted 1033 twice to reset the building block file and I've had Word
2007 recreate the normal.dot twice, hoping to reset it. I'm thinking that I
will have to rebuild "Blank" but I can't figure out how.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

So much for my short cut. This is how to build the header from scratch. I
dont understand your paragraph marks. The Show/Hide paragraph button
toggles the visibility of paragraph marks.

Show Developer ribbon:
1. check: [ ] Show the Developer tab in the Ribbon
(Office Button Word Options Popular: Top options for working with Word)
2. click [ OK ]

3. Show Header (double click top of page)

Add content control.
4. Insert a rich text content control.
(Developer Controls : Aa (bold type))

Edit control text.
5. click [Design Mode] (highlight Design Mode)
6. type €ś[Type text]€ť over €śClick here to enter text€ś.
7. click [Design Mode] (cancel highlight)

8. click Properties:
9. check: [ ] Remove content control when contents are edited
10. click [ OK ].

Save Header:
4. Select header. (click in the left margin)
5. Create header. (Insert Header Save Selection to Header Gallery€¦)
6. Name: ( e.g. My Blank)
7 . Click. [ OK ]
7a. Click [Yes]: Do you want to redefine the building block entry?
8. Check for new header. (General, at bottom of list of headers)
9. Save changes on closing Word.

*** Good Luck ***

"kj" wrote:

I have Work 2007 and I (unfortunately) managed to change the formatting of
the Header Quick Parts "Blank". It now adds an extra line by automatically
entering. I can manually delete the extra line, but I'd like to get rid of
the auto return. It also no longer shows the field box, just [type text].
It is not shaded or highlighted in any way and when I type my text, my text
no longer automatically types over it. I have to manually delete it, too.

I've deleted 1033 twice to reset the building block file and I've had Word
2007 recreate the normal.dot twice, hoping to reset it. I'm thinking that I
will have to rebuild "Blank" but I can't figure out how.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mecalith Mecalith is offline

On rethinking this case, you dont actually need a blank header template.
Just double click the top of the page to open the header and start typing.