Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bad Bart Bad Bart is offline

Default Word Read-Only Files Conundrum

I've run into a strange thing I've never run into before regarding opening
read-only files in Word 2003. I have a number of computers in a training
center, all of which have a series of Word read-only files saved on their
hard drives for student use. On one computer, when these files are opened,
they seem to automatically "lose" the fact they were created and saved as
read-only. My sense is that somewhere in the Word program or in the OS
there's a setting that needs selecting or deselecting. I've dug around and
can't seem to find what it might be. Any help or suggestions? The OS on the
computer in question is Windows XP.

Any and all suggestions and solutions will be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Bart

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Brian Brian is offline

In Windows Explorer locate the file, then right click - select Properties and
check the Read Only box.

Hope this helps,
--
Brian McCaffery

"Bad Bart" wrote:

I've run into a strange thing I've never run into before regarding opening
read-only files in Word 2003. I have a number of computers in a training
center, all of which have a series of Word read-only files saved on their
hard drives for student use. On one computer, when these files are opened,
they seem to automatically "lose" the fact they were created and saved as
read-only. My sense is that somewhere in the Word program or in the OS
there's a setting that needs selecting or deselecting. I've dug around and
can't seem to find what it might be. Any help or suggestions? The OS on the
computer in question is Windows XP.

Any and all suggestions and solutions will be much appreciated. Many thanks!

Bart

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Bad Bart Bad Bart is offline

Thanks a lot, Brian. Your suggestion worked like a charm. I'm surprised I
didn't stumble across that solution. Your help and attention are much
appreciated.

Best regards,

Bart

"Bad Bart" wrote:

[...]

how do i read .lwp files in word? Thomasfreeman1968 Microsoft Word Help 1 May 26th 07 01:21 PM
How do I get word to NOT open files as read only automatically? RPDriscoll Microsoft Word Help 4 July 8th 05 03:09 PM
How do I read .tif files using microsoft word? Jeanine Microsoft Word Help 2 June 21st 05 10:30 PM
Table format conundrum GeoffG Tables 1 June 1st 05 12:59 PM
Word opening files Read Only when not Nate Weldon Microsoft Word Help 1 January 21st 05 02:37 AM