Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Default Encapsulating text in a box

I have several paragraphs in a document I would like to encapsulate in a
box. I know that once a box has been inserted, text can be moved into the
box. Is there any way the text can be selected and then encapsulated in a
box, without selecting, copying and pasteing? Like drawing the box around
the text? This could be accomplished in WP? Please don't tell me to go back
to WP. This has been enough of a challenge to convert to MS Word after some
20 years. I do want to stay here.

Thank you in advance for any direction or help

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Steve is offline

You can still use a text box. Insert, text box. Then double click on the text
box border and select "no fill". Now the box is hollow, see-through...and
adjust size/location to what you want.

"JERRY" wrote:

I have several paragraphs in a document I would like to encapsulate in a
box. I know that once a box has been inserted, text can be moved into the
box. Is there any way the text can be selected and then encapsulated in a
box, without selecting, copying and pasteing? Like drawing the box around
the text? This could be accomplished in WP? Please don't tell me to go back
to WP. This has been enough of a challenge to convert to MS Word after some
20 years. I do want to stay here.

Thank you in advance for any direction or help

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

On first try, after second thought, I could not get either suggestion to
work. I will keep trying however. I have 2007 verson (no smiley face here)
JERRY

"CyberTaz" typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet wrote in message
What version of Word are you using - Office 2003 or earlier?

Select the paragraphs [one technique: triple-click the first then
Shift-Click the last] then go to Insert Text Box. Just keep in mind that
a text box can't span a page break, so if the paragraphs all fit on one
page you'll be OK.

May work the same in 2007, but I'm not sure.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
I have several paragraphs in a document I would like to encapsulate in a
box. I know that once a box has been inserted, text can be moved into the
box. Is there any way the text can be selected and then encapsulated in a
box, without selecting, copying and pasteing? Like drawing the box around
the text? This could be accomplished in WP? Please don't tell me to go
back to WP. This has been enough of a challenge to convert to MS Word
after some 20 years. I do want to stay here.

Thank you in advance for any direction or help

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

You can select the text and add a frame. Since Word 97, Frame has not been
on the Insert menu by default, but you can use the button on the Forms
toolbar. Alternatively, if all you want is a border, then use Format |
Borders and Shading | Box.

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
I have several paragraphs in a document I would like to encapsulate in a
box. I know that once a box has been inserted, text can be moved into the
box. Is there any way the text can be selected and then encapsulated in a
box, without selecting, copying and pasteing? Like drawing the box around
the text? This could be accomplished in WP? Please don't tell me to go

back
to WP. This has been enough of a challenge to convert to MS Word after

some
20 years. I do want to stay here.

Thank you in advance for any direction or help

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Thanks Susan, I'll give it a try. Nothing else has been easy.
Jerry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can select the text and add a frame. Since Word 97, Frame has not been
on the Insert menu by default, but you can use the button on the Forms
toolbar. Alternatively, if all you want is a border, then use Format |
Borders and Shading | Box.

so
all may benefit.

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
I have several paragraphs in a document I would like to encapsulate in a
box. I know that once a box has been inserted, text can be moved into the
box. Is there any way the text can be selected and then encapsulated in a
box, without selecting, copying and pasteing? Like drawing the box around
the text? This could be accomplished in WP? Please don't tell me to go

back
to WP. This has been enough of a challenge to convert to MS Word after

some
20 years. I do want to stay here.

Thank you in advance for any direction or help

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Suzanne
For someone just migrating from WP to MSW, it would save a tremendous amount
of time with a few extra key strokes (smile) on your part if you would help
me navigate either to the forms menu or format, borders, etc. A couple
decades with WP helps me little with the new office 2007 layout.
I would be appreciative
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Ah, I missed that you are using Word 2007. I don't have it here, but
according to Word command reference.xls, Format | Borders and Shading is now
Home | Paragraph | Arrow next to the most recently used command: a border
command or Horizontal Line, Draw Table, View Gridlines, or Borders and
Shading OR Home | Paragraph | Shading (the latter presumably just for
shading and the former for borders).

The Insert Frame button is now Developer | Controls | Legacy Tools | Insert
Frame, but in order to get to this you first have to go to Office Button |
Word Options | Advanced and enable the Developer tab.

I agree this doesn't sound easy!

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
Suzanne
For someone just migrating from WP to MSW, it would save a tremendous

amount
of time with a few extra key strokes (smile) on your part if you would

help
me navigate either to the forms menu or format, borders, etc. A couple
decades with WP helps me little with the new office 2007 layout.
I would be appreciative
Jerry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
You can select the text and add a frame. Since Word 97, Frame has not

been
on the Insert menu by default, but you can use the button on the Forms
toolbar. Alternatively, if all you want is a border, then use Format |
Borders and Shading | Box.

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"JERRY" JERRY@HOME wrote in message
I have several paragraphs in a document I would like to encapsulate in

box. I know that once a box has been inserted, text can be moved into

the
box. Is there any way the text can be selected and then encapsulated in

box, without selecting, copying and pasteing? Like drawing the box

around
the text? This could be accomplished in WP? Please don't tell me to go

back
to WP. This has been enough of a challenge to convert to MS Word after

some
20 years. I do want to stay here.

Thank you in advance for any direction or help

Jerry

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Ahhh!! is right. Thank you, thank you. I spend over an hour trying to wiggle
my way around trying to find commands that just were not there. I'll give
this one more go around before retiring tonight.
With appreciation
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

After a brief have-at-it, I think it would be easier to just insert a text
box, select cut and paste into the box

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JERRY[_2_] JERRY[_2_] is offline

Suzanne
Actually, this is what the Dr ordered. By putting Controls on the QAT this
works pretty fast once you have selected the text. Thanks for the tip
Jerry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Select the text then from the Paragraph section of the home tab, select
borders. Put a border all round the text. The borders will move with the
paragraph indent to give you a 'box' the shape of the text.

The box remains part of the text and is in the text layer - unlike a text
box which is essentially a graphic.

You can also insert a frame - add the Insert Frame command to the QAT -
which can be given a border and which has some of the properties of a text
box in that you can drag it around and rtreat it as an entitly c/w content,
but it remains in the text layer of the document.

JERRY wrote:
[...]

newsgroup so
all may benefit.