Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Confused student Confused student is offline

Default Page total shows total for entire document not each section total.

Page total shows total for entire document not each section total.

I have a document with several sections, but am unable to get a correct page
total for each separate section. The printed page total is the total pages
for the entire document. I've inserted section breaks and broken the link to
each previous section and still end up with the wrong totals.

A simple 7 page document example follows. In this case I have a cover page
followed by two sections of three pages each. There is a section break after
the cover page and a section break after the first section. The links to the
previous section have been broken.

Section 1 prints without a page number as as desired.
Section 2 is numbered 1 of 7, 2 of 7, and 3 of 7. The desired output is 1
of 3, 2 of 3, and 3 of 4.
Section 3 is numbered 1 of 7, 2 of 7, and 3 of 7. The desired result is 1
of 3, 2 of 3, and 3 of 3.

There are seven total pages in the document, but I need each section to have
separate section totals. How do I get the total to be the total for that
section only?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Press Alt+F9 to display field codes. Edit the NUMPAGES field code to read
SECTIONPAGES, then Alt+F9 to toggle back and F9 to update.

http://word.mvps.org

"Confused student" Confused wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The "Page X of Y" construct consists of text plus two fields -- when you
select it and press Shift+F9 to display field codes, you see Page {PAGE} of
{NUMPAGES}. The {NUMPAGES} field always shows the total number of pages in
the document. To get what you want, you need to replace that field with a
{SECTIONPAGES} field. While the field code is visible, just type
SECTIONPAGES between the braces, and then press F9 to update it.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman