Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathryn Pundt[_2_] Kathryn Pundt[_2_] is offline

Default Page numbering, excluding page 1 in the total pages

I tried using the fieldcodes, but couldn't get them to work. Is there an
easy way to start page 1 on page 2 and the total pages will not include the
title page? I have a total of 55 pages. Page 1 is a title page. What I need
is page 1 of 54, etc.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pam Pam is offline

Assuming all of these pages are in the same section--
From the Header/Footer:
1. Choose: Insert, Field.
2. Change Categories drop-down to "Numbering".
3. Choose: SectionPages.
4. Click OK.

"Kathryn Pundt" wrote:

I tried using the fieldcodes, but couldn't get them to work. Is there an
easy way to start page 1 on page 2 and the total pages will not include the
title page? I have a total of 55 pages. Page 1 is a title page. What I need
is page 1 of 54, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_55_] Henk57[_55_] is offline

If you have planned to convert to pdf when ready, probably the easiest
is to make two pdfs (one of yr cover page) and one of yr 54 pages.
Then merge on the pdf level.
If you must do it in Word, try {={PAGE}-1} of {={NUMPAGES} -1} (Note:
enter the curly brackets via Ctrl-F9, not via the keyboard).

;2249943']I tried using the fieldcodes, but couldn't get them to work.

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathryn Pundt[_2_] Kathryn Pundt[_2_] is offline

I inherited this document. Looking through it, I have section breaks
everywhere. How do I remove all of them at one time? I know this is another
question, but it is affecting my page numbering.

I did what you suggested, but page 2 still says page 2 and I want it to say
page 1.

"Pam" wrote:

Assuming all of these pages are in the same section--
From the Header/Footer:

"Kathryn Pundt" wrote:

I tried using the fieldcodes, but couldn't get them to work. Is there an
easy way to start page 1 on page 2 and the total pages will not include the
title page? I have a total of 55 pages. Page 1 is a title page. What I need
is page 1 of 54, etc.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Kensche CreativeTemplateSolutions Kathy Kensche CreativeTemplateSolutions is offline

Firstly, be careful deleting section breaks unless the header / footers of
each section say "same as previous" when you view the header/footers
(doubleclick on them to check), otherwise you may destroy some deliberate
template settings.

If you are sure that you can delete the section breaks, they have to be
deleted individually.

After you're left with one mainbody section, open the footer of that section
(doubleclick) and amend the field for the page number indicators. The safest
way is deleting what you find and inserting it from scratch: type "page" and
press the # button on header toolbar. Then type "of" and insert the next
field by pressing the "++" button. Now highlight the first field and press
the "format page number" button (the one with the little hand on). Set your
page number to start from 1. Then highlight the second page field and
rightclick. Choose "toggle" and you'll find the field programming. Alter it
like this:
1. Select "{ NUMPAGES }" and press Ctrl+F9 to add an extra set of field
brackets around { NUMPAGES } (the field brackets cannot be typed; you must
use Ctrl+F9).
2. Between the two start brackets,{ {, type an equal sign
3. Between the two end brackets, } }, type "- 1" (without the quotation
marks). Now you have:
{ = { NUMPAGES } - 1 }
Rightclick again and toggle field code. Close the footer and if necessary
update your fields (F9).

If it's all worked out the code should start counting pages on the second
page as if it was the first and add one page to the total number of pages.
--
Kathy Kensche CTS Creative Template Solutions Ltd.

Please do not contact me directly unless you wish CTS to propose a
commercial solution for your template.

"Pam" wrote:

Assuming all of these pages are in the same section--
From the Header/Footer: