Claire

Default Turn off automatic outlining?

Did you ever find out how to turn off the outline feature?

Does anyone know how to turn-off Word's automatic outline feature? I am working on a very long document and need to use the Document Map in my left pane. Unfortunately though, the document map shows the headings which I have created AND the outline levels which Word automatically assigns. This creates a nearly unusable Doc Map. I can manually change each automatic outline assignment back to body text, but this is very time consuming and I need to do this every time the Doc Map is re-created. Any help would be appreciated!

Daiya Mitchell

For the answer to Amy's original question, see he

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/DocumentMap.htm

"turn off the outline feature" can have many different
interpretations--Claire, if that page doesn't meet your needs, you'll need
to restate what you mean.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Stefan Blom

If you are referring to prevent Word from converting typed numbers into
a numbered list, please see:

Word is always making changes I don't expect. How can I get more control
over my formatting?
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TameAutoFormat.htm

Note that the article also described how to turn off other less helpful
features which are enabled by default when Word is installed.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Amy m" wrote:

Does anyone know how to turn-off Word's automatic outline feature?

I am working on a very long document and need to use the Document Map in
my left pane. Unfortunately though, the document map shows the headings
which I have created AND the outline levels which Word automatically
assigns. This creates a nearly unusable Doc Map. I can manually change
each automatic outline assignment back to body text, but this is very
time consuming and I need to do this every time the Doc Map is
re-created. Any help would be appreciated!

RetiredBJ RetiredBJ is offline
Junior Member

I clicked on Close Outline View and was returned to the original form of the document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Blom View Post