Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Becker Tom Becker is offline

Default Maximum number of characters in a word merge field

This is probabaly an easy one for you guys but its driving me crazy.

I have a word merge supplied by excel, some of teh excel cells have quite a
lot of information (upwards of 200 characters), some of the text contained
therein merges where in other sections with the same length the text is cut
off. WHY?

When i tested it it all worked fine, now it does not I can't work out why.

Anty help would be gratefully appreciated, ca't provide a copy of teh
spreadsheet and word doc as its work sensitive.

Tom
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

From information posted by a fellow contributor, Peter Jamieson, I
understand that Word
looks at the first 8 or so records in the data source to determine the type
of data. If there is no field in any of those 8 or so records that contains
more than 255 characters, that field in all subsequent records will be
truncated at 255 characters.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Tom Becker" Tom wrote in message
This is probabaly an easy one for you guys but its driving me crazy.

I have a word merge supplied by excel, some of teh excel cells have quite
lot of information (upwards of 200 characters), some of the text contained
therein merges where in other sections with the same length the text is
cut
off. WHY?

When i tested it it all worked fine, now it does not I can't work out why.

Anty help would be gratefully appreciated, ca't provide a copy of teh
spreadsheet and word doc as its work sensitive.

Tom

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Tom Becker[_2_] Tom Becker[_2_] is offline

Doug,

Thanks, but (and I may be being retarded here) I tried making the first
merge field about 1,000 characters long (which I could then delete) but it
still does not wok, even more oddly it did work for one field and not for
another, however all formatting is the same.

Tom

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From information posted by a fellow contributor, Peter Jamieson, I
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Just to clarify Doug's message, each column is treated separately. If column
A has text =255 characters in the first 8 rows (typically), column A will
be treated as a "string" and any text in that column will be truncated to
255. If column B has even one text 255 in the first 8 rows the column
should be treated as "memo".

My on this issue are at http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm but I don't claim
that it is the complete picture, especially if you are using an older
version of Word than (say) XP/2002, or your worksheet was created in an
earlier version of Excel.

Peter Jamieson
"Tom Becker" wrote in message
Doug,

Thanks, but (and I may be being retarded here) I tried making the first
merge field about 1,000 characters long (which I could then delete) but it
still does not wok, even more oddly it did work for one field and not for
another, however all formatting is the same.

Tom

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

From information posted by a fellow contributor, Peter Jamieson, I
understand that Word
looks at the first 8 or so records in the data source to determine the
type
of data. If there is no field in any of those 8 or so records that
containsf