Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RJR RJR is offline

Default Formatting of merged fields for date and times doesn't work with E

Hello,

I have a several WORD merge files that use Excel as my data source. I have
the following merge fields in the body of the letter.

". I will meet you at your establishment on 39142 at 0.53125. Please have the
following information available for my review:"

I have used alt-F9 and the merge field looks like this. { MERGEFIELD
"L01_Visit_Date"\@ "Dddd, Mmmm dd, yyyy" } and {MERGEFIELD
"L01_Visit_Time"\@ "hh:mm am/pm"}.

Is thjere something that I'm missing to get the format correct?

This same problem is apparant with all my merge documents. How can I make
these display correctly.

Any help is appreciated.

I am using a macro in Excell to do the opening and finding of the database,
BUT the behavior is the same with or without the code opening or closing the
case. The particular field in EXCEL 2003 is formatted as date and hour and
they work fine in EXCEL.

Would making that field a "Text" field work, or would that just bring the
numbers over too.

Thanks in advance.

Bob Reynolds

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

It seems that Word doesn't recognize the Excel information as a date to be
formatted, any more than I recognize your date switch.
From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. Then when
you attach the data source to the mail merge main document, you will be
given the option of using the DDE method of connection which should read the
data as you have it formatted in the table without the switch.
See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm for details of date
switches.

RJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RJR RJR is offline

Default Formatting of merged fields for date and times doesn't work wi

Thank you Graham. I got that switch from the board here when I asked how to
format a date to read Saturday, February 21, 2006. I made it in the custom
selection and it's worked great for me so far.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It seems that Word doesn't recognize the Excel information as a date to be
formatted, any more than I recognize your date switch.
From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab

RJR wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The switch for
Monday, February 19, 2007

would be - \@ "dddd, MMMM d, yyyy"
your switch \@ "Dddd, Mmmm dd, yyyy"
produces 19Mon, 23838 19, 2007 ?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

It seems that Word doesn't recognize the Excel information as a date
to be formatted, any more than I recognize your date switch.
From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the
General tab and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at