Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Helen

Default Numbered Lists - Restart Numbering

Hello,

Can someone please help me? I'm wondering why everytime I apply the List
Number style, I have to restart the numbering (right-clickrestart numbering).

Thank you.

Hélène
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Helen,

Can someone please help me? I'm wondering why everytime I apply the List
Number style, I have to restart the numbering (right-clickrestart numbering).

To put it succinctly: that's how it's been designed to work. The theory being,
if you're re-using the style, you want to continue the list (by default).

The only really reliable way to force this is to define the list style a bit
differently. Don't assign a number to Level 1; start the numbering with Level 2.
Set Level 2 to always begin renumbering after a Level 1 paragraph.

Link Level 1 to a paragraph style you know will be used between each separate
list.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
writer12 writer12 is offline

My documents are based on styles that I did not create. In all of the
documents, the list restarts numbering as it should. I cannot get the lists
to restart numbering in the latest doc, which is a copy of another doc, even
using all of your suggestions. Even when I manually restart the lists (72 of
them!), it reverts even tho templates are not set to automatically update.
What else can I try?
--
CAC

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Helen,

Can someone please help me? I'm wondering why everytime I apply the List
Number style, I have to restart the numbering (right-clickrestart numbering).

To put it succinctly: that's how it's been designed to work. The theory being,
if you're re-using the style, you want to continue the list (by default).

The only really reliable way to force this is to define the list style a bit
differently. Don't assign a number to Level 1; start the numbering with Level 2.
Set Level 2 to always begin renumbering after a Level 1 paragraph.

Link Level 1 to a paragraph style you know will be used between each separate
list.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] is offline

Hat's either ToolsTemplates and Add-InsAttach... Automatically update
styles on open, or the list template has not been correctly associated with
the styles you are using.

Read Shauna Kelly's website, and remember that a list template is not a
style, and it is not part of a style, it's a separate list description. It
can be associated with a style, and it behaves a little like a style: but
there's one of each in play in each list.

On 16/2/07 8:04 AM, in article
, "writer12"
wrote:

My documents are based on styles that I did not create. In all of the
documents, the list restarts numbering as it should. I cannot get the lists
to restart numbering in the latest doc, which is a copy of another doc, even
using all of your suggestions. Even when I manually restart the lists (72 of
them!), it reverts even tho templates are not set to automatically update.
What else can I try?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Robin Clay Robin Clay is offline

"John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macinto" wrote, 2/16/2007 10:59 PM PST :

Yeah, I know - that WAS a while ago !

Hat's either ToolsTemplates and Add-InsAttach... Automatically update
styles on open, or the list template has not been correctly associated with
the styles you are using.

Read Shauna Kelly's website,

Huh ?

and remember that a list template is not a
style, and it is not part of a style, it's a separate list description. It
can be associated with a style, and it behaves a little like a style: but
there's one of each in play in each list.

Huh ?

--
Regards

Robin

On 16/2/07 8:04 AM, in article
, "writer12"
wrote:

My documents are based on styles that I did not create. In all of the
documents, the list restarts numbering as it should. I cannot get the lists
to restart numbering in the latest doc, which is a copy of another doc, even
using all of your suggestions. Even when I manually restart the lists (72 of
them!), it reverts even tho templates are not set to automatically update.
What else can I try?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Just make sure to set up your multilevel list with the numbering set to
"(none)" for level 1. It can still restart level 2 paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ember" wrote in message
How do I do this:
"The only really reliable way to force this is to define the list style a
bit differently. Don't assign a number to Level 1; start the numbering
with
Level 2. Set Level 2 to always begin renumbering after a Level 1
paragraph."

Thanks!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Helen,

[...]

reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ember Ember is offline

Thanks! After I posted this question I did some more searching and found
steps on how to do this. What threw me was the fact that I am not creating a
multilevel list (ours is a simple 1., 2., 3.; sometimes with a 1.a. etc). I
did not realize how you can modify "level 1" of a multilist to not be a
number but regular paragraph formatting.

Ember

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Just make sure to set up your multilevel list with the numbering set to
"(none)" for level 1. It can still restart level 2 paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ember" wrote in message
How do I do this:
"The only really reliable way to force this is to define the list style a
bit differently. Don't assign a number to Level 1; start the numbering
with
Level 2. Set Level 2 to always begin renumbering after a Level 1
paragraph."

Thanks!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Helen,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

Indeed, making use of a multilevel (outline) list is the easiest method to
restart numbering. (This and two more methods are described at
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...artmethods.htm.)

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

Just make sure to set up your multilevel list with the numbering set to
"(none)" for level 1. It can still restart level 2 paragraphs.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ember" wrote in message
How do I do this:
"The only really reliable way to force this is to define the list style
bit differently. Don't assign a number to Level 1; start the numbering
with
Level 2. Set Level 2 to always begin renumbering after a Level 1
paragraph."

Thanks!

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi Helen,

[...]