Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle[_2_] Michelle[_2_] is offline

Default footnotes in mailmerge

I have a letter with footnotes 1 and 2. When I click on "Finish & Merge" the
footnotes in the other letters become 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on. How do I create
a mailmerge and keep the footnotes 1 and 2 for all the letters?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michelle Michelle is offline

(This question is for Word 2007.)

"Michelle" wrote:

I have a letter with footnotes 1 and 2. When I click on "Finish & Merge" the
footnotes in the other letters become 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on. How do I create
a mailmerge and keep the footnotes 1 and 2 for all the letters?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You could use the following macro to convert the Footnotes to ordinary text

' Macro created 29/09/99 by Doug Robbins to replace endnotes with textnotes
at end of document
' to replace the endnote reference in the body of the document with a
superscript number. Replace
' Endnotes with Footnotes to do the same to Footnotes (but they will appear
at the end of the document.
'
Dim aendnote As Endnote
For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes
ActiveDocument.Range.InsertAfter vbCr & aendnote.Index & vbTab &
aendnote.Range
aendnote.Reference.InsertBefore "a" & aendnote.Index & "a"
Next aendnote
For Each aendnote In ActiveDocument.Endnotes
aendnote.Reference.Delete
Next aendnote
Selection.Find.ClearFormatting
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find.Replacement.Font
.Superscript = True
End With
With Selection.Find
.Text = "(a)([0-9]{1,})(a)"
.Replacement.Text = "\2"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.Format = True
.MatchWildcards = True
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Michelle" wrote:

I have a letter with footnotes 1 and 2. When I click on "Finish & Merge"
the
footnotes in the other letters become 3, 4, 5, 6 and so on. How do I
create
a mailmerge and keep the footnotes 1 and 2 for all the letters?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Michelle,

With your mailmerge main document open, select the References Ribbon, click on the little arrow on the Footnotes tab to expand it.
Then, select Numbering and choose 'Restart each Section'. Then run your mailmerge.

Note: You can make the same change to your existing output document but, when doing so, you'll need to make sure the 'Apply Changes
to' box refers to the whole document.

--
Cheers
macropod