Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Default Trouble with the template.

I want to reset the 'normal' template to default to "Times
New Roman" 10point font, and the pages numbered centre top.

This seems to work when I set and reopen Word2003 from the
Administrator Template vis:
C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.

But it will not work when I open Word2003 normally from the
desktop.

I have deleted the "Normal.dot" from the following and
copied in the "Normal.dot" from the Administrator above:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.
C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.
C:\Documents and Settings\Frank\Application
Data\Microsoft\Templates.

All to no avail.

Can anyone explain, simply as to a 5 yo, how to change the
template settings?

Desperate, Frank

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Log on to your computer as Frank and then start Word. With the blank
document on the screen, select from the Format menu, select Font and then
select the desired font and size and then click on the Default button and
when the message box appears advising you that you are about to change the
default font to , etc. click on the Yes button.

I would suggest that you do not insert page numbers into the normal. dot
template as it can create problems. Better to create a new template that
contains the page numbering that you want and then use that template as the
basis for documents that you want to create with that page numbering.

See the article "Creating a Template - The Basics (Part I)" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart1.htm
See the article "Creating a Template (Part II)" at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

--
Hope this helps,

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

a paid professional basis.

"Frank Martin" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Frank Martin Frank Martin is offline

Thanks, I worked this out. Now I want a Template/Style for
the page numbering.

I am in the Word2003 "Styles & Formatting" screen and I have
selected a "New Style" and in the dialogue box I have named
this new style as "Numbered Pages". The "Style Type" is
paragraph, The "Style Based On" is Normal, and the "Style
for following paragraph" is Normal.

The "Formatting" is set to Times New Roman 10 font.

Where is the Page Numbering selection? At the bottom there
is a "Format" button which does not contain it. The "Add
to Template" option doesn't explain which template (is this
the Normal one)? What does "Automatically Update" mean?

There is a "Styles & Formatting" section at the top of the
screen with various old failed attempts at formatting, but
there seems no way to delete these.

Please help, Frank.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Please reply only to the newsgroups unless you wish to
obtain my services on
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There is a built-in Page Number character style that is applied on top of a
paragraph style, usually Header or Footer. By default, it is Default
Paragraph Font + ( that is, it is the same as the font of the underlying
paragraph style).

http://word.mvps.org

[...]

template trouble lolab Microsoft Word Help 0 May 1st 07 10:01 PM
Template trouble ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 6 April 30th 07 10:56 PM
template trouble ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] Microsoft Word Help 1 April 30th 07 06:24 PM
Template trouble Neil[_3_] New Users 4 February 19th 07 03:56 PM
Template trouble NYKGST Microsoft Word Help 1 March 3rd 05 08:19 AM