markb markb is offline
Junior Member

Default mailmerge to individual documents

Hi
I have downloaded Doug Robbins MMtoDocs (latest version 25) to split up a mailmerge doc to multiple docs. I am using Word2003.

The macro works well and I am using the feature to auto create .pdf documents. However the .pdf docs all end up with a blank page as the last page which is not what I want.

When the multiple Word docs are created by the macro, they retain a 'new page' section break at the end. I think this is why the PDF equivalent files all end up with a blank page.

So can the macro be changed so when it does the splitting, it deletes the 'new page' section breaks?

Or is there another solution?

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Unwanted pages at the end of the split pages are a function of your merge
document and not the macro. It might help with text flow if you set the
Adobe driver as the active printer driver while you format the document and
note that any differences in layout between your document template and
normal.dot which is used in the macro to create the separate documents will
be reflected in changes to the output documents.

markb wrote:
Hi
I have downloaded Doug Robbins MMtoDocs (latest version 25) to split
up a mailmerge doc to multiple docs. I am using Word2003.

The macro works well and I am using the feature to auto create .pdf
documents. However the .pdf docs all end up with a blank page as the
last page which is not what I want.

When the multiple Word docs are created by the macro, they retain a
'new page' section break at the end. I think this is why the PDF
equivalent files all end up with a blank page.

So can the macro be changed so when it does the splitting, it deletes
the 'new page' section breaks?

Or is there another solution?

thanks

markb markb is offline
Junior Member

Hi Graham
Thanks for reply. The problem is not to do with the format of my mail merge document or differences between my document template or normal.dot.
I realise that it isn't the MMtoDocs split macro that creates unwanted page breaks at the end of split pages - the standard mail merge process outputs a file with section breaks inserted.
But when the MMtoDocs split macro runs and looks for section breaks in the mail merge output file (in order to know where to split and create individual files) could it not delete the section break before its saves each individual .doc file? Then when each indicidual .doc file is printed to the Adobe driver to create equivalent .pdf it won't result in having a blank page in each .pdf
Many thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post

markb wrote:
Hi
I have downloaded Doug Robbins MMtoDocs (latest version 25) to split
up a mailmerge doc to multiple docs. I am using Word2003.

The macro works well and I am using the feature to auto create .pdf
documents. However the .pdf docs all end up with a blank page as the
last page which is not what I want.

When the multiple Word docs are created by the macro, they retain a
'new page' section break at the end. I think this is why the PDF
equivalent files all end up with a blank page.

So can the macro be changed so when it does the splitting, it deletes
the 'new page' section breaks?

Or is there another solution?

thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro should remove the section breaks that are causing your problem.
The usual reason they don't is a conflict with the template that created the
document you are merging. Try again with a simple merge based on a letter
created in normal.dot and you should see what I mean.

If you want to send me a copy of your merge letter and a small sample of
your data I may be able to spot what is wrong with your document that
conflicts with the add-in.

markb wrote:-
Hi
I have downloaded Doug Robbins MMtoDocs (latest version 25) to split
up a mailmerge doc to multiple docs. I am using Word2003.

The macro works well and I am using the feature to auto create .pdf
documents. However the .pdf docs all end up with a blank page as the
last page which is not what I want.

When the multiple Word docs are created by the macro, they retain a
'new page' section break at the end. I think this is why the PDF
equivalent files all end up with a blank page.

So can the macro be changed so when it does the splitting, it deletes
the 'new page' section breaks?

Or is there another solution?

thanks -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
charles astbury charles astbury is offline

I found Graham's AddIn and gave it a try; nice work. I too experienced a
section break continuous at the end of each of the split out documents. Did
it both when using a defined template AND normal.dot. I can only think the
macro needs to delete the last section break.
I am new to this forum so am not entirely sure if this has already been
resolved.

url:http://www.ureader.com/msg/10104583.aspx