Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
newschapmj1[_2_] newschapmj1[_2_] is offline

Default Memo fields (multi line text) and Microsoft Word 2002 - text datasource

Is there a way to include Memo fields in text data sources?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Tell us the full story. Where is the data at the moment? From where is the
text for the "Memo fields" coming?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"newschapmj1" wrote in message
Is there a way to include Memo fields in text data sources?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
newschapmj1[_2_] newschapmj1[_2_] is offline

On May 21, 9:47 am, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
Tell us the full story. Where is the data at the moment? From where is the
text for the "Memo fields" coming?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"newschapmj1" wrote in message

Is there a way to include Memo fields in text data sources?

Thanks for the swift response.

We have written an application that collects data from a sql 2000
database and then writes the data to a text file (relates to a single
letter).
If calls macros in Word and gets Word to do a mail merge for a single
letter at a time.
This works fine and is reliable.

So far all our data items are short data items with no carriage
returns in them.
I'd like to include multi line text if this is possible (typically 4-8
lines of text, 100-400 characters).

Would it would work if we used an Access record instead?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

You still haven't advised where the text for the memo originates, but
certainly, a memo field from access can be merged into a Word document. In
some cases, people have reported truncation of data, but that can be
overcome by changing the method of connection of the data source to the mail
merge main document.

For an application producing one letter at a time, I would probably not use
mailmerge. Rather, I would use a template with DOCVARIABLE fields in place
of mergefields and then have code create a new document from the template
and create variables in the document that contains the values from the data
source and then update the fields in the document so that the fields display
the values of the variables.