Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
kim kim is offline

Default Merging Time Fields

My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is 13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Try adding a

\@ "H:mm"

switch inside the closing } of the mergefield that is displayed when you use
Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of the field codes

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and I want
it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is 13.30.00,
it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
kim kim is offline

Does not work. 13.30.00 will print correctly as 13:30 but 08.30.00 prints 0:00

It's treating these values differently.
--
Kim

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and I want
it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is 13.30.00,
it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab
and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. (In Word
2007 it is Office Button Word Options Advanced General Confirm file
format conversion on open). Then when you attach the data source to the mail
merge main document, you will be given the option of using the DDE method of
connection which should read the data as you have it formatted in the table.

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and
I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is
13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
kim kim is offline

My data source is a .txt file, it's generated from another application. I
tried all 3 DDE options available: Excel, Access, and Query, and none of
them work
--
Kim

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and
I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is
13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I cannot replicate your problem using

{ MERGEFIELD "Start" \@ "h:mm am/pm" } { MERGEFIELD "Start" \@ "h:mm
am/pm" }

and a tab delimited text file containing

Start Finish
08:30:00 09:25:00
12:30:00 13:30:00
15:30:00 16:00:00

as the data source.

The result for the first record is

8:30 AM 9:25 AM

The connection to the datasource was the default method of connection.

--

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source is a .txt file, it's generated from another application. I
tried all 3 DDE options available: Excel, Access, and Query, and none of
them work
--
Kim

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General
tab

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and
I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is
13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Post an offending sample of your data - like Doug I cannot reproduce the
fault on the basis of the information you have provided.

DDE is for Excel/Access, TXT should not be an issue.

Kim wrote:
My data source is a .txt file, it's generated from another
application. I tried all 3 DDE options available: Excel, Access,
and Query, and none of them work

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the
General tab and check the box against the "Confirm conversions at

Kim wrote:
Does not work. 13.30.00 will print correctly as 13:30 but 08.30.00
prints 0:00

It's treating these values differently.

Try adding a

\@ "H:mm"

switch inside the closing } of the mergefield that is displayed
when you use Alt+F9 to toggle on the display of the field codes

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and
I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is
13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
kim kim is offline

The time field in my text file is formatted like this:

08.30.00 13.30.00

separated by decimals not colons.
--
Kim

Kim wrote:
My data source is a .txt file, it's generated from another
application. I tried all 3 DDE options available: Excel, Access,
and Query, and none of them work

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00 and
I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is
13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Change the text file to produce a legitimate time format by using colons
instead of decimals.

Kim wrote:
My data source is a .txt file, it's generated from another
application. I tried all 3 DDE options available: Excel, Access,
and Query, and none of them work

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00
and I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is
13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
kim kim is offline

I have no control over the text file since it's produced by another
application. I don't understand why 13.30.00 is interpretted correctly but
08.30.00 isn't.
--
Kim

Kim wrote:
My data source is a .txt file, it's generated from another
application. I tried all 3 DDE options available: Excel, Access,
and Query, and none of them work

From the Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the

"Kim" wrote in message
My data source has the time formatted in this manner: 08.30.00
and I want it
to print 8:30 am in Word yet it prints 12:00 am. If the time is
13.30.00, it
will print fine: 1:30 pm. What is wrong?
--
Kim

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

Kim,
I believe your data/values are being read like this:
08.30.00 = August 30, 2000 or just August 30 at midnight or 00:00:00 hrs
Because the "08" can represent the month of August
13.30.00 = 13:30:00
Since there is no 13th month, the "13" (or higher figure), will reflect the
24/military time correctly.

Rich/rerat (RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate