Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
David Griesel[_2_] David Griesel[_2_] is offline

Default Date Field Switch \@ "d MMM yyyy"

I have a merge Word document and an Excel spreadsheet that I have converted
to use with Microsoft 2007. My problem is this. In the Word merge document, I
refer to a date of birth for a person. I added a switch to the field and the
person's date of birth appears in the format that I want. Wonderful! Further
down the document, I list the transactions by date that the person had over
the year. The date switch does not work in the field and instead of
displaying the date in the format I want it, \@ "d MMM yyyy", the numerical
value of the date is displayed.

I did not have this problem in 2003 and now it does the same thing in both
the compatible 2003 and 2007 versions. How do I fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The error concerns the way the date is stored in Excel, however from the
Tools menu in Word, select Options and then go to the General tab and check
the box against the "Confirm conversions at open" item. (In Word 2007 it is
Office Button Word Options Advanced General Confirm file format
conversion on open). Then when you attach the data source to the mail merge
main document, you will be given the option of using the DDE method of
connection which should read the data as you have it formatted in the table.