Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Reed Reed is offline

Default merging multiple records into the same

I am mail merging records from Access. I am merging multiple records into
the same document. This works fine until I need to place fields from the same
record
in different places in the document. example: I first list the names (using
data fields and word field "next) from multiple records and elsewhere in the
document I need to insert other information (data fields) from the same set
of records. If I simply add "data fields" at the location in the document , I
just get blanks.

I need to be able to have the merge do something like a "go to first record"
on the whole database and continue. Or, a command that resets the next
record position i.e. "go to first record in the database"...

Example:

BODY TEXT..etc.... Name List:
{MERGEFIELD "NAME"} {NEXT}
{MERGEFIELD "NAME"} {NEXT}
{MERGEFIELD "NAME"} {NEXT}
{MERGEFIELD "NAME"} {NEXT}

MORE BODY TEXT...etc..Unit List:
{MERGEFIELD "UNIT"} {NEXT}
{MERGEFIELD "UNIT"} {NEXT}
{MERGEFIELD "UNIT"} {NEXT}
{MERGEFIELD "UNIT"} {NEXT}

It is after the "MORE BODY TEXT.." that I need to go to the first record in
the query and merge "UNIT" creating a list of "Units". The "NAME" and
"UNIT" are fields in the same record. I could make a separate table for the
"UNIT" data if that would help me accomplish the task.

Thanks for any help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sounds like you are probably trying to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge which Word does not really have the
ability to do.

The way I would do it would be with a report in Access.

However, you might get some ideas from the "Group Multiple items for a
single condition" item on fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

or at:

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

--
Hope this helps.