Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melody Melody is offline

Default Unable to save changes to data file when using Edit Recipient List

Hello,
We just recently upgraded to Office 2007. When I open my master (main)
merge document and click the button to Edit the Recipient List, I have the
option to edit individual records (change a value in one or more fields).
This is the method I usually use for changing/updating records. After
completing my merge, I close my main document. I am prompted with this
message: "DF317571.docx is a mail merge main document that is attached to a
data source Info.docx that has not been saved. Do you want to save
Memo.docx?" (The name of the first document is different everytime.) If I
select Yes, I get "This file is Read-only) and only have the choice of "OK".
The merged documents show the updated records. How can I get my changes to
the data file saved? My data file is a Word 2007 document with a table with
proper headings for a merge.
--
---Melody
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Use the datasource with a directory type mail merge main document in which
you insert a one row table into the cells of which you insert the
mergefields. When you execute that merge to a new document, that document
will contain a table with one row of data for each record in the data
source. Insert a row at the top of that table and into the cells of that
row, insert names for the mergefields. Then save that document and using it
as the data source. As it is just an ordinary Word document, you can open
and edit it in Word.

See the thread "Why does a Word2003 data source open as Read-Only in
Word2007?" started by Kristi in Oregon on May 24.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Melody" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melody Melody is offline

Default Unable to save changes to data file when using Edit Recipient

My datasource file is already a table with a header row that contains the
names of the merge fields. If I open my datasource file and make edits to my
data and save the file, then open the main document and perform my merge -
everything works fine. However, if I notice that there is an error in my
data after opening the main document that I wish to correct - I normally use
the Edit Recipient List button. Edit the data. Finish my merge. When I
close the main document, I cannot save the corrected datasource file. It
worked in previous versions.

Are you telling me that I can no longer edit and save my datasource if done
so using the "edit recipient list" option from the main document? I will
have to close my main document, go back to the datasource make my changes,
save and re-open the main document?
--
---Melody

"Melody" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melody Melody is offline

Thanks Doug. I added the Original Mail Merge Helper to my Quick Access
Toolbar. I am able to edit and view my original data source, but am still
getting the "read only" error when I try to save my changes to the data
source. Any other ideas?
--
---Melody

"Melody" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Maybe its the issue that is covered in the article "I keep getting files
that I am working on locked for editing. Word only allows me to open them
read-only" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/LockedFiles.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

news

"Melody" wrote in message
[...]

Unable to save changes to recipient list on networked drive Nat Microsoft Word Help 0 May 2nd 08 04:21 AM
Word 2007: can't edit recipient list johnthebaptist Mailmerge 9 December 17th 07 06:34 PM
Edit Recipient List Doo Mailmerge 3 September 6th 07 02:51 PM
Can't edit recipient list [email protected] Mailmerge 1 November 15th 06 02:15 PM
Edit recipient list Joanne Mailmerge 6 January 13th 06 08:44 AM