jenniferb

Default How can I maintain Excel's number formatting when merging to Word?

I have data in Excel that is set to automatically round to two decimal places
and maintain currency formatting, but when I merge it into Word, that
formatting is lost. Is there a way that this number formatting can be
maintained when merged to Word?
Peter Jamieson

Generally speaking, if you connect to your Excel data using DDE, Word will
retain more of the formatting info. in the Excel sheet - to do that in Word
2002/2003, check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion at open" and
go through the process of connecting to your data source again. You must
have Excel to do this.

Peter Jamieson

"jenniferb" wrote in message
news
I have data in Excel that is set to automatically round to two decimal
places
and maintain currency formatting, but when I merge it into Word, that
formatting is lost. Is there a way that this number formatting can be
maintained when merged to Word?

Doug Robbins

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"jenniferb" wrote in message
news
I have data in Excel that is set to automatically round to two decimal
places
and maintain currency formatting, but when I merge it into Word, that
formatting is lost. Is there a way that this number formatting can be
maintained when merged to Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Heidi Heidi is offline

Default How can I maintain Excel's number formatting when merging to W

Does anyone know how to replicate this is Word 2007 yet?

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"jenniferb" wrote in message
news
I have data in Excel that is set to automatically round to two decimal
places
and maintain currency formatting, but when I merge it into Word, that
formatting is lost. Is there a way that this number formatting can be
maintained when merged to Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Roxanne Roxanne is offline

When working in Excel 2007 you do need to 'protect' the spreadsheet before
you use it for a data source.
In Excel, click on the 'Review' tab, and then click on 'Protect Sheet'.
Click on 'Format Cells' and then click 'OK' without entering a password
(unless it is needed).
You should now be able to merge your information without difficulty.

This is the same process you would need to go through to have a date from
the Excel data base merge into a Word document in the desired format.

Excel's default is 04/30/08. Generally, in a letter you want the date to
appear as: April 30, 2008. By following the above steps to protect the Excel
document the merge will complete correctly.

Just remember to unprotect the spreadsheet if you need to make any changes
to it.

--
Roxanne
Still Learning

"jenniferb" wrote:

I have data in Excel that is set to automatically round to two decimal places
and maintain currency formatting, but when I merge it into Word, that
formatting is lost. Is there a way that this number formatting can be
maintained when merged to Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Sorry, Roxanne, but that is one thing that you need to un-learn!

It is not necessary for an Excel spreadsheet to be protected for it to be
able to be used as a mailmerge data source.

If you want to maintain formatting in the way that Jenniferb was after, you
add a formatting switch to the mergefield in Word.