Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
donna

Default Mail merge directory using excel file

I am trying to create a directory with names and addresses, using an excel
file. I can do the whole thing except for one part. Each page has 2
columns. I would like each name and address to be across from another one so
they line up. ie.
Jane doe John Doe
123 main st 456 Main st
anytown, USA Box 234
Any town USA

The name that comes after Jane Doe will be one line higher than the name
that come after John Doe. How do I get them to line up? I am using Excel
and Word 2003. Please be very specific. Don't assume I know anything.
Someone suggested I go to http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm.
That was way over my head. I couldn't get it to work.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anne Troy

I assume you're "columns" are in your Word mail merge main document? If so,
labels and other mail merge layouts are often vertically centered. If that's
the case, you should be able to click inside your Table, then
Table--Select--Table, and then Table--Properties, Cell tab and align TOP.

************
Hope it helps!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com
Check out the NEWsgroup stats!
Check out: www.ExcelUserConference.com

"donna" wrote in message
I am trying to create a directory with names and addresses, using an
excel
file. I can do the whole thing except for one part. Each page has 2
columns. I would like each name and address to be across from another one
so
they line up. ie.
Jane doe John Doe
123 main st 456 Main st
anytown, USA Box 234
Any town USA

The name that comes after Jane Doe will be one line higher than the name
that come after John Doe. How do I get them to line up? I am using Excel
and Word 2003. Please be very specific. Don't assume I know anything.
Someone suggested I go to
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm.
That was way over my head. I couldn't get it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
donna

How do I get the excel date into a table and when do I do it? Before I start
the merge or during it. PLease be very specific, I don't know anything about
tables.
Thanks!

"donna" wrote in message
I am trying to create a directory with names and addresses, using an
excel
file. I can do the whole thing except for one part. Each page has 2
columns. I would like each name and address to be across from another one
so
they line up. ie.
Jane doe John Doe
123 main st 456 Main st
anytown, USA Box 234
Any town USA

The name that comes after Jane Doe will be one line higher than the name
that come after John Doe. How do I get them to line up? I am using Excel
and Word 2003. Please be very specific. Don't assume I know anything.
Someone suggested I go to
http://www.gmayor.com/convert_labels...mail_merge.htm.
That was way over my head. I couldn't get it to work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Anne Troy

Did we solve your first question?
Place the Date field using Mail merge, just like you do any other.
I think that if you're going to want more help, and very specific help, then
we need more specific information.
I don't even know what you're mail-merging...labels or letters?
************

"donna" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

In the Mailmerge main document, insert a one row, two column table (if you
want two columns) or a three column table if you want the information in
three columns. Then into each of the cells in that table, insert the merge
fields in the configuration that you want them. Then before the first merge
field in the second cell (and the third if you have one), insert a Next
Record field.

Now when you execute the merge to a new document, you should get what you
want.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"donna" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
donna

Doug, I tried that and the last cell on the page doesn't have enough room, so
the names in each for the 2 columns are continued on the next page. So you
might have the last name and the street in the last cell in the column with
that persons city on the next page. I need it all in one cell. I tried
"keep with next" and "keep with next" in the format screen. It didn't work.

Also, is it possible to have the sequence be verticle? ie:
page 1
a d
b e
c f

page 2
g j
h k
i l

"donna" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Richard Tackett

I'm doing a project very similar to yours. This may not be the best or most
efficient way, but I did a mail merge using the 'Directory' option in Mail
Merge. Then, after the merge, formatted the Word document with two columns. I
then simply edited the document to add and remove spaces to get the alignment
I wanted. Took half an hour or so for a directory with 750 names, addresses,
etc.

"donna" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
donna

Thanks, that's what I will probably do. I'd like to learn the correct way
for future use though.

I need to know how to fix the sequence that the names are listed on the
page as I've described below.

I have actually figured out the problem with addresses being split. Go into
"table" then "properties", "cell" "options" then make sure "wrap text" and
"fit text" are not checked.

"donna" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

From the Tables menu, select Properties and on the Row tab, uncheck the box
for "allowing the row to break across a page"