Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erica

Default How do I get rid of index "switches" in the print layout?

I am in the process of writing an extensive word document that will soon
include an index at the end.

I know how to mark text for the index; however, this makes the document
difficult to read in the print layout view.

For example, if I mark "John Doe" for the index, then I see:

John Doe{ XE "John Doe"}

According to Microsoft Office Word Help, when you mark text as an index
entry, Microsoft Word inserts an XE (Index Entry) field formatted as hidden
text.

This character formatting that allows you to show or hide specified text.
Microsoft Word indicates hidden text by underlining it with a dotted line and
displays no result in the document. To view this field, click the Show/Hide ¶.

HOWEVER, even when I click the Show/Hide ¶ I can still see the XE (Index
Entry) field.

Please tell me that there is some way to hide this or make it more user
friendly. It is incredibly hard to edit this document without constantly
switching over to the print preview to figure out how the document will look
in the end. Not to mention this double text throughout my paragraphs is
highly distracting.
--
Erica Milburn

Houston, TX
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie [MVP]

In Word, click on Tools | Options | View tab | uncheck the "Field
codes" and "All" boxes | Print tab | uncheck the "Field codes"
box | OK.

Erica wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erica

They had already been unchecked, both the "field codes" and "all" boxes under
the View tab and the "field codes" under the print tab.

Any other suggestions?

--
Bye Bye Miss America Pie

"Erica" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erica

I tried that, and my table of contents disappeared and was replaced with this:

{ TOC \o "1-3" \h \z \u}

The hidden fields for the index remained.

Any other suggestions?
--
Bye Bye Miss America Pie

"Ed" wrote:

Try Alt+F9.

"Erica" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Erica

Those tabs were already unchecked. I tried checking them and then unchecking
them, but no change. The strange fields after my marked index text still
remains.

Any other suggestions?

--
Bye Bye Miss America Pie

Erica wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Field codes" is actually irrelevant here, and "All" can be unchecked while
"Hidden text" remains checked. "Hidden text" is the one you want to uncheck.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On the View tab of Tools | Options, clear the check box for "Hidden

text."

newsgroup so
all may benefit.