Albert D. Kallal

Default Looking for a nice XML merge example.

Does anyone have an example, or "link" to a xml merge example for word?

What I am looking for is the "classic" invoice, or "repeating" data type
merge.

That means you have some single fields like Address, Name, Company, and then
you have a set of repeating fields:

PackageName Qty Price
Apples 12 $5.00
Oranges 6 $4.00

Etc. etc.

It seems to me that since XML models the type of data very nicely..I am
wondering if word 2003 can use merge fields with this xml data..and you can
get this repeating data into a "table" (hopefully with a minimal amount of
fuss..and code). Can the new word handle this xml type data for merge
fields..and "repeat" data for one letter with one customer...but "many"
detail lines?
(or, do we still have to write code to do this?).

Any good examples of the above type problem...and a xml mail merge to word?

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Looking for a nice XML merge example.

Yes, Microsoft Word can handle XML data for mail merge. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to do it:
  1. First, you need to create an XML file that contains your data. You can use any text editor to create this file, or you can use a tool like Microsoft Excel to export your data as an XML file.
  2. In Word, open a new document and go to the Mailings tab.
  3. Click on Start Mail Merge and select the type of document you want to create (e.g. Letters, Email Messages, Envelopes, Labels, etc.).
  4. Click on Select Recipients and choose Use an Existing List.
  5. Browse for your XML file and select it.
  6. Word will display a dialog box asking you to map the fields in your XML file to the merge fields in your document. You can either choose to automatically map the fields or manually map them.
  7. Once you have mapped the fields, you can insert merge fields into your document by clicking on Insert Merge Field and selecting the field you want to insert.
  8. To insert repeating data, such as the package name, quantity, and price in your example, you can use the Table feature in Word. First, insert a table into your document by clicking on Insert Table and selecting the number of rows and columns you need.
  9. In the first row of the table, insert merge fields for the package name, quantity, and price.
  10. In the second row of the table, insert the merge fields that correspond to the data in your XML file.
  11. To repeat the table for each record in your XML file, select the entire table and go to the Layout tab.
  12. Click on Repeat Header Rows and select the number of rows you want to repeat.
  13. Finally, preview your document by clicking on Preview Results. You can then save your document and print or email it to your recipients.
__________________
Doug Robbins

Hi Albert,

I think it's a case of new Word OLD mailmerge. I haven't done anything with
XML myself, but I do know that fellow MVP Bill Coan has done quite a bit
with it, so I suggest that you ping him on the subject as I don't think that
I have ever seen him in this Newsgroup.

Doing a search on Google for XML Mail Merge in the microsoft.public.*
newsgroups however does not turn up anything that would indicate that xml
can be used directly with mailmerge.

My standard response to anyone who has the data in Access and wants to do
this sort of thing (invoices) is to use Access.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Albert D. Kallal" wrote in message
[...]

Albert D. Kallal

"Doug Robbins" wrote in message

My standard response to anyone who has the data in Access and wants to do
this sort of thing (invoices) is to use Access.

Thanks a bunch...

The above is quite close to my take on this also (and, if you keep the
ms-access report plain..it converts to word very nicely). So, using a report
in ms-access is really about the best way to go here..

The reason I asked is that I plain to "update" my Super Easy ms-access to
word merge..and I would love to include a "end user" ability to choose the
"many" side for a merge...

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Doug Robbins

Hi Albert,

Here's a "potted" answer that I sometimes give to people wanting to do the
"one to many" thing. One day, I might get around to further developing the
macro method to combine the "many" bits produced with the "ones". Problem
is, there can be so many variations of what the "one" part should be.

Word does not really have the ability to perform a "multiple items per
condition (=key field)" mailmerge.

See the "Multiple items per condition" item under the "Special merges"
section of fellow MVP Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...r/MergFram.htm

Or, if you create a Catalog (on in Word XP and later, it's called Directory)
type mailmerge main document with the mergefields in the cells of a one row
table in the mailmerge main document with the keyfield in the first cell in
the row and then execute that merge to a new document and then run the
following macro, it will create separate tables with the records for each
key field in them. With a bit of further development, you may be able to
get it to do what you want.

' Macro to create multiple items per condition in separate tables from a
directory type mailmerge

Dim source As Document, target As Document, scat As Range, tcat As Range
Dim data As Range, stab As Table, ttab As Table
Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, n As Long
Set source = ActiveDocument
Set target = Documents.Add
Set stab = source.Tables(1)
k = stab.Columns.Count
Set ttab = target.Tables.Add(Range:=Selection.Range, numrows:=1,
numcolumns:=k - 1)
Set scat = stab.Cell(1, 1).Range
scat.End = scat.End - 1
ttab.Cell(1, 1).Range = scat
j = ttab.Rows.Count
For i = 1 To stab.Rows.Count
Set tcat = ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range
tcat.End = tcat.End - 1
Set scat = stab.Cell(i, 1).Range
scat.End = scat.End - 1
If scat tcat Then
ttab.Rows.Add
j = ttab.Rows.Count
ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range = scat
ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range.Paragraphs(1).PageBreakBefore = True
ttab.Rows.Add
ttab.Cell(j + 1, 1).Range.Paragraphs(1).PageBreakBefore = False
For n = 2 To k
Set data = stab.Cell(i, n).Range
data.End = data.End - 1
ttab.Cell(ttab.Rows.Count, n - 1).Range = data
Next n
Else
ttab.Rows.Add
For n = 2 To k
Set data = stab.Cell(i, n).Range
data.End = data.End - 1
ttab.Cell(ttab.Rows.Count, n - 1).Range = data
Next n
End If
Next i

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Albert D. Kallal" wrote in message
"Doug Robbins" wrote in message

My standard response to anyone who has the data in Access and wants to do
this sort of thing (invoices) is to use Access.

Thanks a bunch...

The above is quite close to my take on this also (and, if you keep the
ms-access report plain..it converts to word very nicely). So, using a
report in ms-access is really about the best way to go here..

The reason I asked is that I plain to "update" my Super Easy ms-access to
word merge..and I would love to include a "end user" ability to choose the
"many" side for a merge...

--
Albert D. Kallal (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Albert,

Does anyone have an example, or "link" to a xml merge example for word?

What I am looking for is the "classic" invoice, or "repeating" data type
merge.

Basically, Word still doesn't support either XML data sources, nor
one-to-many mail merges. Both topics are covered on my site (Doug pointed
you at the one-to-many).

Dev Ashish (another Access MVP) covered this topic fairly well a couple of
years ago, on his site. You may also want to review that, if you've never
seen it before. Personally, if I'm working from an Access POV, dynamically
providing a data source for a mail merge, my inclination would be to put
the "many" data into a comma-delimited string, in a single cell. The user
would then have to select the data and format the paragraphs with tab
stops...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org