seth

Default font identification

I have a document. The original font may not be installed
on the present computer how can I discover what the
original font was. When I click or highlight the word the
font identification area in the toolbar is blank. I have
a printed copy of the document and want to reproduce the
page using the original font. not too sure how to use
this newsgroup so my email is: . Would
appreciate any help. Seth
Genine

You don't say what version of Word you're using, but if you're using 2000, XP
or 2003, you can go to Tools Options Compatibility. On that screen you
will see a font substitution button. If you click that, it will tell you
which fonts in the document are being substituted on your screen with a
different one.
Genine

"seth" wrote:

I have a document. The original font may not be installed
on the present computer how can I discover what the
original font was. When I click or highlight the word the
font identification area in the toolbar is blank. I have
a printed copy of the document and want to reproduce the
page using the original font. not too sure how to use
this newsgroup so my email is: . Would
appreciate any help. Seth

Thankyou so much for your reply. It doesn't quite address
my problem though. I did as you suggested but on a number
of documents it said 'no font substitution necessary, yet
the font displayed and when printed is different than
what it used to be on my old computer. I have 'word 2000'
and I am using 'word art' on the documents. I am printing
labels. If you know of any other things I might do to get
it to revert to its original font I would greatly
appreciate it. Further I have installed all the fonts
that were on the old computer as i have the original font
cd and it still does not go back to the original font.
Seth

"seth" wrote:

I have a document. The original font may not be

installed
on the present computer how can I discover what the
original font was. When I click or highlight the word

the
font identification area in the toolbar is blank. I

have
a printed copy of the document and want to reproduce

the
page using the original font. not too sure how to use
this newsgroup so my email is: .

Would
appreciate any help. Seth

.

Klaus Linke

Hi Seth,

There's probably no simple way to find all the fonts that have been used in
WordArt.

You can locate WordArt if you use "Edit Find" and search for ^g (graphics).
If you then double-click on the WordArt (= edit it), you can see the font.

You can also see all those fonts if you open the document with the "Recover text
from any file" filter (but don't save it after you opened it that way! Better
make a backup!).
It may be difficult to locate them, though.

Or save as XML, HTML, or RTF. You can see the font names in those formats too,
if you then open the files as text files. Again, it probably won't be easy to
locate the WordArt and the font names.

Perhaps if you analyze the XML file (or HTML/RTF), you can figure out how
WordArt is encoded, and write a macro to get a list of all the used fonts.

Regards,
Klaus