flygal

Default how do I open a access file .mdb on Word 2003?

I got a file in my email on yahoo and it would not open. I downloaded Win xp
file converter and still the file is not viewable on Word 2003
Charles Kenyon

An .mdb file is (I think) an Access database file. It can be opened in
Access and possibly in other database programs. I don't know if it can be
used as a data source for a mail merge if you do not have the Access
application. Access comes in several of the Office suites including Office
Professional.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"flygal" wrote in message
I got a file in my email on yahoo and it would not open. I downloaded Win
xp
file converter and still the file is not viewable on Word 2003

Beth Melton

Yes, it's an Access database.

I know you can use an Access database it as a data source in Word 2003
if you don't have Access installed since Word now uses an Access
database, instead of a Word document, when you create a new data
source in Word.

I *think* you can use an Access database in Word 2002 as well since it
used the OLE DB method to connect to the data source by default
instead of DDE which is the default used for previous versions.

Since I've always had Access installed I can't say for sure, though.

Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/