Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] keithgage@ukonline.co.uk is offline

Default Merge fields in IF statements not working

I have a problem when using an IF statement and then inserting a mail
merge field in to the IF statement. When my user runs the mail merge it
is fine, but when other users run it, Word questions the merge field in
the IF statement and says that it is an invalid merge field.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Are you going to keep us guessing or are you going to reproduce the
conditional field here? Use the macro at
http://www.gmayor.com/export_field.htm to export it exactly!

wrote:
I have a problem when using an IF statement and then inserting a mail
merge field in to the IF statement. When my user runs the mail merge
it is fine, but when other users run it, Word questions the merge
field in the IF statement and says that it is an invalid merge field.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KeithG KeithG is offline

Any IF statement will do it, so even

{ IF { Mergefield Name } "Fred" "This isn't Fred" "{ Mergefield Name
}" }

for the user who created the mail merge template, it's not a problem,
but all other users word will say that display the normal dialogue box
for Invalid Merge Field for the field in question ie Name.

Keith.

wrote:
I have a problem when using an IF statement and then inserting a mail
merge field in to the IF statement. When my user runs the mail merge
it is fine, but when other users run it, Word questions the merge
field in the IF statement and says that it is an invalid merge field.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The implication of this is that the other users do not have access to the
data file when they open the template.

wrote:
I have a problem when using an IF statement and then inserting a
mail merge field in to the IF statement. When my user runs the mail
merge it is fine, but when other users run it, Word questions the
merge field in the IF statement and says that it is an invalid
merge field.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KeithG KeithG is offline

Hi

Thanks for the prompt reply Graham. Much appreciated. If I create a
mail merge with only fields (and no IF statemements), all users can
carry out the mail merge successfully, whether they last amended it or
not. If one of those merge fields is used within an IF statement, and
the user did not last amend the template, this is when Word will
display the 'Invalid Merge Field' dialogue box.

Regards.

Keith.

wrote:
I have a problem when using an IF statement and then inserting a
mail merge field in to the IF statement. When my user runs the mail
merge it is fine, but when other users run it, Word questions the
merge field in the IF statement and says that it is an invalid
merge field.

Any ideas?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I cannot think of any mechanism whereby this would occur. If a merge using
only {Mergefield Name} works correctly, then there is no reason why you
should get an error with a conditional statement that uses this field. I am
as baffled as you are.