Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
itsjustb itsjustb is offline

Default Table styles issues - Word 97 to Word XP

We're compiling a document, and many of the tables are pulled from
documents originally written using Word 97. Many of these tables are
suddenly having table styles applied to them. But it's random--not all
the tables have this problem.

Here are my questions:

1. I know all tables created in Word XP have a table style applied to
them. I would assume that when a table is brought in from Word 97, it
too would automatically have a table style applied, but that's not
happening. For many of the Word 97 tables we've brought in, there is no
table style at all. So....what determines whether a table brought in
from an earlier version of Word gets a table style or not?

2. Some Word 97 tables are getting styles applied. Ok, I can deal with
that. What determines the style Word XP chooses? In this particular
document, many of the tables are getting a user-defined stylle called
"list:indent bull" applied. But it's a paragraph style, not a table
style! (and if I try the Table AutoFormat command, that style isn't
listed). Why would Word XP apply a paragraph style to these tables?
Even better--in this same document, Word XP chose to apply the
"Document Map" style to some of the tables. Boy, that was fun.

3. As noted in question 1, some of my Word 97 tables don't have a table
style applied at all. Is there any way I can do that too?

4. One more thing we've noticed. The tables that are getting these
random styles applied will look fine through many revisions, and then
suddenly get the style applied. Does anyone know what the trigger is??
There's a VBA method called "UpdateAutoFormat" for the table object,
but I don't see anywhere in the documentation where it says what
triggers it in a regular document.

If anyone can answer these questions, I'd really appreciate it!

Thanks,

Beej