Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Beth is offline

Default Page XofY Numbering in Appendix

Hi there,

I'm trying to do "X of y" page numbering for my Appendices in the header but
am having a heck of a time getting the "y" part of it to work properly. It
should go:

A-1 of A-3
A-2 of A-3
A-3 of A-3
Then the same format for Appendix B and so on........

I have the following selected:
-Include Chapter Number
-Chapter Starts with Style (Heading 5)

Using MS Word XP 2002 - SP3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much Beth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi Beth

There are three ways to produce the "y" part of the "Page x of y" numbering:
the { NUMPAGES } field, the { SECTIONPAGES } field, and a reference to a
bookmark.

The Numpages field produces the number of pages in the whole document.
That's what's generally used for "Page x of y" numbering. That's not going
to work for you, because you only want the number of pages in a particular
part of the document.

The SectionPages field will work if, and only if, you have exactly one
section per appendix. If you have two sections (eg if you have a landscape
page in the middle of an appendix, or an appendix contains some columns),
then it won't work.

The only other way round this would be to create a bookmark at the end of
every appendix. Call them, say "EndAppendixA", "EndAppendixB" etc. Then,
create a separate header for each section (that is, turn off 'same as
previous'). In each header, create a cross-reference to the relevant
bookmark (ie in the Appendix A header, create a cross reference to bookmark
"EndAppendixA". That will give you the page number. If you're using built-in
heading styles to number your chapters and appendixes then you can get the
"A" from a StyleRef field. If you do this you will need to (a) make sure you
never accidentally delete the bookmark and (b) keep a note somewhere so that
when you come back to this document in 6 months' time, you can remember how
you created it!

My serious advice is to give up on this idea.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Beth" wrote in message
Hi there,

I'm trying to do "X of y" page numbering for my Appendices in the header
but
am having a heck of a time getting the "y" part of it to work properly.
It
should go:

A-1 of A-3
A-2 of A-3
A-3 of A-3
Then the same format for Appendix B and so on........

I have the following selected:
-Include Chapter Number
-Chapter Starts with Style (Heading 5)

Using MS Word XP 2002 - SP3

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much Beth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Beth is offline

Wow - that was 'way' more than I had ever imagined I'd have explained to me.
I think I'll give your last suggestion an honest effort and if I fail at
that...well I'll try and talk the client out of this option. : )

Thank you so much for your level of detail in your answer - I appreciate it
so much.

Beth