Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] is offline

Default Template trouble

Now that I have finish creating my template as a .dot file. I thought I was
ready to go. I used the "update field" and the "merge to new document"
features to make sure that the user prompts were working the way I needed
them to. Problem? When select file/new/"my new template", it doesn't ask me
all of the questions? It starts somewhere in the middle...
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?T0RvZyBUcnlpbmcgTmV3VHJpY2tz?=,

Now that I have finish creating my template as a .dot file. I thought I was
ready to go. I used the "update field" and the "merge to new document"
features to make sure that the user prompts were working the way I needed
them to. Problem? When select file/new/"my new template", it doesn't ask me
all of the questions? It starts somewhere in the middle...

I'm afraid you don't provide precise enough information. Which version of Word
are we discussing? Have you done something with Fillin and ASK fields, by any
chance?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] is offline

Sorry - a little frustration sat in. I am using Word 2003 and I have ask, ref
and fillin statements in my template. When I generate a new document using
the template it skips the first 6 or 7 prompts.

{ ASK NameProcess "Enter the name of the Process." }
{ REF NameProcess \d "" MERGEFORMAT \* MERGEFORMAT }

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?T0RvZyBUcnlpbmcgTmV3VHJpY2tz?=,

Now that I have finish creating my template as a .dot file. I thought I was
ready to go. I used the "update field" and the "merge to new document"
features to make sure that the user prompts were working the way I needed
them to. Problem? When select file/new/"my new template", it doesn't ask me
all of the questions? It starts somewhere in the middle...

I'm afraid you don't provide precise enough information. Which version of Word
are we discussing? Have you done something with Fillin and ASK fields, by any
chance?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?T0RvZyBUcnlpbmcgTmV3VHJpY2tz?=,

Sorry - a little frustration sat in. I am using Word 2003 and I have ask, ref
and fillin statements in my template. When I generate a new document using
the template it skips the first 6 or 7 prompts.

I can identify with frustration :-)

ASK prompts aren't triggered automatically when a new document is created from a
template, only Fillin fields (and this behavior was new about 10 years ago). The
reason is that sometimes the template designer wants more control over what
displays under which circumstances; this gives us a choice.

You have two possibilities:

1. Use a macro to force the field updating, and use only ASK fields

2. Use only Fillin fields. Select each one you want to "duplicate" (I assume that's
the logic behind using ASK fields in some places), then Insert/Bookmark to create a
bookmark around it.

{ ASK NameProcess "Enter the name of the Process." }
{ REF NameProcess \d "" MERGEFORMAT \* MERGEFORMAT }

Now that I have finish creating my template as a .dot file. I thought I was
ready to go. I used the "update field" and the "merge to new document"
features to make sure that the user prompts were working the way I needed
them to. Problem? When select file/new/"my new template", it doesn't ask me
all of the questions? It starts somewhere in the middle...

I'm afraid you don't provide precise enough information. Which version of Word
are we discussing? Have you done something with Fillin and ASK fields, by any
chance?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in
the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] is offline

Thank you - I have changed all of my fillin statements to ASK fields. I have
attempted macros in the past, but was not sucessful. Can you lead me in the
right direction?

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Create a macro in the Template with the name AutoNew() and in it insert then
following command

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update

I would suggest however that you use a UserForm for this.
See the article "How to create a Userform" at:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Userforms/CreateAUserForm.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] ODog Trying NewTricks[_2_] is offline

Thank you. I will check it out.

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

trouble with sharing a customized template Agatha[_2_] New Users 1 February 20th 07 03:39 PM
Template trouble Neil[_3_] New Users 4 February 19th 07 02:56 PM
Trouble with Cookbook Template Jodiebht Microsoft Word Help 1 April 23rd 06 09:53 PM
Using Word Template I am having trouble building a TOC Geoff New Users 1 September 26th 05 09:53 AM
Template trouble NYKGST Microsoft Word Help 1 March 3rd 05 07:19 AM