Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Josh Craig Josh Craig is offline

Default Putting Table of Contents into Table Cells

Is there any way for me to change a table of contents so that each entry in
the TOC goes into a different cell in a table?

Currently the best I can do is get the whole TOC to appear in one cell or
otherwise manually paste the TOC titles into the cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Select the TOC (a field) and press CTRL+Shift+F9 to convert the field to
text. Then while the text remains selected Table convert text to table.

Josh Craig wrote:
Is there any way for me to change a table of contents so that each
entry in the TOC goes into a different cell in a table?

Currently the best I can do is get the whole TOC to appear in one
cell or otherwise manually paste the TOC titles into the cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

But... once you've done so, the ToC can no longer be updated. So, make sure
it's in final form before doing this... or, be prepared to do it again when
you want to update the ToC (i.e., reinsert the toc field, convert to text,
then convert text to table).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

Josh Craig wrote:
Is there any way for me to change a table of contents so that each
entry in the TOC goes into a different cell in a table?

Currently the best I can do is get the whole TOC to appear in one
cell or otherwise manually paste the TOC titles into the cells.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Henk57[_27_] Henk57[_27_] is offline

Whilst Graham and Herb gave you perfect technical adice, I am puzzled
why you want to do this.... Is it a formatting issue you cannot
perform otherwise, or maybe that you assume cannot be done otherwise?

'Herb Tyson [MVP Wrote:
;2192411']But... once you've done so, the ToC can no longer be updated.
So, make sure
it's in final form before doing this... or, be prepared to do it again
when
you want to update the ToC (i.e., reinsert the toc field, convert to
text,
then convert text to table).

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
...-
Select the TOC (a field) and press CTRL+Shift+F9 to convert the field
text. Then while the text remains selected Table convert text to
table.

My web site
www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org

-

--
Henk57
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

This is a very good question.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Josh Craig wrote:-
Is there any way for me to change a table of contents so that each
entry in the TOC goes into a different cell in a table?

Currently the best I can do is get the whole TOC to appear in one
cell or otherwise manually paste the TOC titles into the cells.-

-

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Josh Craig Josh Craig is offline

Why am I doing it?

I have paragraphs of data with titles. I need it in a table because I need
to manually enter data in other columns of the table and I wanted the table
to be the first page and people can click on the titles in the table to go to
the paragraphs below. If you can think of a better way to do it I'm happy to
try.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

This is a very good question.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Josh Craig wrote:-
Is there any way for me to change a table of contents so that each
entry in the TOC goes into a different cell in a table?

Currently the best I can do is get the whole TOC to appear in one
cell or otherwise manually paste the TOC titles into the cells.-

-

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

You could manually create your TOC entries using cross-references to
headings. Depending on the length of your document, this could be laborious.
But, it does give you clickable links. If you're industrious and diligent,
you might even be able to write a macro to do the work of creating the
cross-references... but it might be worth doing only if this is something
you need to do again and again.

--

"Josh Craig" wrote in message
Why am I doing it?

I have paragraphs of data with titles. I need it in a table because I
need
to manually enter data in other columns of the table and I wanted the
table
to be the first page and people can click on the titles in the table to go
the paragraphs below. If you can think of a better way to do it I'm happy
try.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

This is a very good question.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Josh Craig wrote:-
Is there any way for me to change a table of contents so that each
entry in the TOC goes into a different cell in a table?

Currently the best I can do is get the whole TOC to appear in one
cell or otherwise manually paste the TOC titles into the cells.-

-

--
Henk57

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Josh Craig Josh Craig is offline

Yeah thanks Herb my plan was to write a macro using the TOC and yes cross
referencing was how I was previously doing it and it was very time consuming.

"Josh Craig" wrote in message
Why am I doing it?

I have paragraphs of data with titles. I need it in a table because I
need
to manually enter data in other columns of the table and I wanted the
table
to be the first page and people can click on the titles in the table to go
the paragraphs below. If you can think of a better way to do it I'm happy
try.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

This is a very good question.

--