Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amante donne

Default Track changes Nightmare

We are having some problems in my workplace using office 2003. people are
sending documents to people and they can see all the changes that they make.
This is not good, we have millions on office documents and although we can
turn off track changes in that the user here does not see them, if the person
they send them too has track changes on, then they CAN see the changes.

Hopefully someone can help, we simply (without having to accept or reject
changes to all these documents) want to send out documents and NOT have
people see the changes made. how can we do this?

regards

Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 04:23:02 -0800, amante donne amante
wrote:

We are having some problems in my workplace using office 2003. people are
sending documents to people and they can see all the changes that they make.
This is not good, we have millions on office documents and although we can
turn off track changes in that the user here does not see them, if the person
they send them too has track changes on, then they CAN see the changes.

Hopefully someone can help, we simply (without having to accept or reject
changes to all these documents) want to send out documents and NOT have
people see the changes made. how can we do this?

regards

Steve

If you don't accept or reject all the changes, then the recipient of
the file *will* be able to see them. There is no getting around this,
period.

If you want to send a document out while keeping the tracked changes,
you have to make a copy of the document, accept/reject all changes in
one copy which you send, and keep the other one intact. Train your
coworkers that they are never to send marked-up documents out of
house.

To protect yourself from accidentally sending a marked-up document, go
to Tools Options Security and check the boxes for "Warn before
printing, saving or sending a file that contains tracked changes or
comments". It's also a good idea to check "Make hidden markup visible
when opening or saving" -- this can be annoying, but it's extra
insurance.

Here are a couple of useful articles:

Protecting Personal Data in Your Word 2003 Documents
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/librar...ctWord2003.asp

Remove Hidden Data add-in for Office 2003 and Office XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=834427

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
amante donne

Thanks for the reply, all i can say is that track changes is in some ways a
good feature, but is badly implemented in that case