Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Skyzoomer Skyzoomer is offline

Default Tab stops between ruler tick marks

I have older word documents that allow placing tab stops between the ruler
tick marks as well as "on" tick marks. But when I open a new document, I can
only place tab stops "on" the tick marks.

What setting can I make in a new document that will allow setting tab stops
between ruler tick marks? Or is there a way I can delete all of the data in
the old document and make it become a normal.dot file?

Thanks,
Skyzoomer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

When you're adding a tab stop, Word may adjust it to the document grid. To
override the grid, hold Alt as you position the tab stop.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Skyzoomer" wrote in message
I have older word documents that allow placing tab stops between the ruler
tick marks as well as "on" tick marks. But when I open a new document, I
can
only place tab stops "on" the tick marks.

What setting can I make in a new document that will allow setting tab
stops
between ruler tick marks? Or is there a way I can delete all of the data
in
the old document and make it become a normal.dot file?

Thanks,
Skyzoomer

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

"Stefan Blom" wrote:
When you're adding a tab stop, Word may adjust it to the document grid. To
override the grid, hold Alt as you position the tab stop.

Stefan,

Thanks so much! I've been trying to find the answer to this dilema off and
on for over a year. Because of your tip, I finally found the answer.
Googling "document grid" I learned that it is a drawing function. Who would
have ever thought that a drawing parameter can affect tab stop settings.

For anyone else who wants to be able to set tab stops between the ruler
bar's tick marks, do this:

In Word's toolbar, click the drawing icon. (If you don't see it, you may
have to click the symbols to show additional icons.) In the drawing
toolbar that appears, click Draw Grid and uncheck "Snap objects to grid".
You should now be able to place tab stops inbetween ruler tick marks. --- If
you do this to the normal.dot file and then save it, all of the documents you
subsequently open should have this capability.

Thanks again Stefan. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your tip after
over a year of searching fustration.
Skyzoomer
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

I'm glad I could help.

Also, note that if you use the Tabs dialog box, you won't have to think
about the document grid at all.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP