Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
86Ranger

Default How do I find and replace bullet symbols (not style)?

When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet characters are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet style and I
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols, but I can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and ^unnn seach
codes, but I am having no luck.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SVC

Have you tried copying the bullet symbol and pasting it into the Find what:
field in Find and Replace?

"86Ranger" wrote:

When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet characters are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet style and I
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols, but I can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and ^unnn seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
86Ranger

Yes. In fact, when I highlight, copy and paste, the paste result actually
appears as two seperate bullets in the FIND field. If I highlight the bullet,
then open the FIND dialogue, it appears in the field as "(" open parentheses.

"86Ranger" wrote:

When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet characters are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet style and I
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols, but I can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and ^unnn seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
SVC

What happens, after pasting the symbol in the Find what: box, if you click on
Find Next? Does it take you to the next identical symbol? I've noticed when
I paste symbols from a WordPerfect font into the Find what: box, that they
don't always replicate what is on screen. But I can Find next and Replace
all.

Also, have you tried after pasting the symbol into the Find what: box to
replace it with something? If so, what happens?

"86Ranger" wrote:

When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet characters are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet style and I
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols, but I can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and ^unnn seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
86Ranger

If I click Find Next, it simply reports back it was not found.
The symbol appears as a simple bullet in the Word document, including when I
print it. However, when I copy and paste the symbol into the search field, it
appears as a double bullet seperated by space, like this:
€¢ €¢
If I try to delete the bullet manually, pressing the delete key once selects
the bullet, and pressing the delete key twice will then delete it. It
wouldn't seem to be a big deal, but I have over 2000 documents, with several
hundred bullets in each. The delete-delete method is killing me.

"86Ranger" wrote:

When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet characters are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet style and I
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols, but I can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and ^unnn seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
86Ranger

Wicked cool! I didn't know I could do that. Its not really a solution for
deleting my thousands of bullets, but it is a neat little trick I didn't know
before. Thank you.

I still would really benefit from knowing how to search out and destroy
these little beggers with the Find Replace option.

"86Ranger" wrote in message
When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet characters

are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet style and

need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols, but I

can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and ^unnn

seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you can actually select the bullets (as opposed to selecting the entire
column of bullets when you click on one in recent versions of Word), then
you can use Alt+X to get the Unicode character code (Word 2002 and 2003).
You can then search for ^Unnnn or ^unnnn (supposedly; I'm having difficulty
making either of these work).

Aha, it turns out that you have to enter the *decimal* value of the Unicode
character, which Word's Symbol dialog provides only as hex. sigh And
although Word's help quotes ^Unnnn, the capital U generates an error
message. Luckily, you can use the Windows calculator to convert hex values
to decimal.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the bulleted paragraphs have a hanging indent, you could use
column-select (Alt+drag) to select the bullets and delete.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"86Ranger" wrote in message
When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet

characters
are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet style

and
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols, but I

can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and ^unnn

seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
86Ranger

Suzanne,
Thanks for working with me on this. Although your reply is not the solution,
I have another clue. When I selected one of the bullets and typed Alt+X,
nothing happened. So I tried inserting a new symbol and using Alt+X just to
verify I was using the Alt+X correctly. I was. So that would indicate that
the bullet I am trying to find is not a symbol. So the question becomes, what
is that little bullet? Is there anyway I can send you an example?
By the way, I have learned a lot (albeit not a solution to my concern) from
your replies. thank you

"86Ranger" wrote in message
When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet

characters
are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet style

and
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols, but I
can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and ^unnn
seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Yes, please send a sample. But one last grasp at a straw. Is this bullet by
chance square and in the margin? If so, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

"86Ranger" wrote in message
When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet

characters
are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet

style
and
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols,

but I
can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and

^unnn
seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

If the character appears as a "(" in the Find Dialog when selected, it is a
character from a Symbol Font and you may find this helpful:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...aceSymbols.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Yes, please send a sample. But one last grasp at a straw. Is this bullet

by
chance square and in the margin? If so, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

so
all may benefit.

"86Ranger" wrote in message
When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet
characters
are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet

style
and
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols,

but I
can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and

^unnn
seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
86Ranger

Ah Ha! I think we're on the right trail. Thank you. In the process, I even
learned what those squares in the margin are indicating. However, I am almost
certain the bullets I am searching for are symbols as Tony has suggested. I
went to the FindReplaceSymbols.htm link provided and built the macro to
display the font and unicode number. But the step in the article that says,
"Press Ctrl+G or select View + Immediate Window to see the results." has me
baffled.

"86Ranger" wrote in message
When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet
characters
are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a bullet

style
and
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be symbols,

but I
can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn and

^unnn
seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

The macro produces its results in what's called the "Immediate Window" in
the VB Editor. To see this window (if it's not already displayed) press
Ctrl+G or select View Immediate Window from the Mneu in the VBE.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

If the character appears as a "(" in the Find Dialog when selected, it

is a
character from a Symbol Font and you may find this helpful:
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...aceSymbols.htm

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Yes, please send a sample. But one last grasp at a straw. Is this

bullet
by
chance square and in the margin? If so, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/NonPrintChars.htm

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If the bulleted paragraphs have a hanging indent, you could

use
column-select (Alt+drag) to select the bullets and delete.

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to

the
newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"86Ranger" wrote in

message
When converting documents from WordPerfect to MSWord, bullet
characters
are
carried over. These characters are not associated with a

bullet
style
and
need to delete them. These bullet characters seem to be

symbols,
but I
can't
find and replace them. I have tried using the ^nnn and ^0nnn

and
^unnn
seach
codes, but I am having no luck.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
86Ranger

That's it! Problem no more, solution found. Thank you Tony, Suzanne and SVC.
I not only found an answer to my bullet problem, but learned much in the
process.